[SOLVED] postfix smtp dns issue

Issues related to applications and software problems
FirebirdTN

[SOLVED] postfix smtp dns issue

Post by FirebirdTN » 2014/04/10 19:46:56

Hi everyone,

I have one more little bug I'd like to get resolved if I can with my CentOS box. Here is the short version:

When the smtp server is configured to use our smtp domain name and I try to send mail, I get the following error:

Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=smtpout.secureserver.net type=MX: Host not found, try again

When I use the IP address of our smtp server it works fine.

The longer version:

I am not trying to set up a full fledged email server, but all I want to do is forward root mail to a real external email addres, mainly to get mdadm notifications.
I am new to Linux, but have managed to make it all work with lots of research. This is just the icing on the cake in case at some point if our smtp server changes IP addresses for whatever reason, I don't have to go back in and change the smtp setting.

I'm SURE I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,

-Alan
Last edited by FirebirdTN on 2014/04/11 16:17:27, edited 1 time in total.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: postfix smtp dns issue

Post by TrevorH » 2014/04/10 19:51:50

Does your mail server have an MX record?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

FirebirdTN

Post by FirebirdTN » 2014/04/11 01:35:49

TrevorH wrote:Does your mail server have an MX record?
I asked our webmaster who takes care of our web presence and email accounts and he said we do. I REALLY know nothing about email, so I don't even know enough to know what questions to ask or what info may be helpful, but here is some info that *might* help:

We are a small company, and we do not host anything ourselves. All of our email and web stuff is handled off site. Our email provider is godaddy.

The smtp server domain name I plugged into postfix is the same one that I use for my email account at work in my client (Thunderbird).

Again, I don't know if that helps or not, and everything IS working-I just hate plugging hard coded IP addresses in where domain names should be used.

Thanks for any tips,

-Alan

Whoever

Post by Whoever » 2014/04/11 01:48:33

FirebirdTN wrote:Hi everyone,

I have one more little bug I'd like to get resolved if I can with my CentOS box. Here is the short version:

Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=smtpout.secureserver.net type=MX: Host not found, try again
You probably need to enclose smtpout.secureserver.net in square brackets instead of leaving it as is in main.cf or another configuration file.

Code: Select all

[smtpout.secureserver.net]
This will make Postfix lookup the IP address for the host, instead of looking up the MX host. For example: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relayhost

FirebirdTN

Post by FirebirdTN » 2014/04/11 02:14:16

Whoever wrote: You probably need to enclose smtpout.secureserver.net in square brackets instead of leaving it as is in main.cf or another configuration file.

Code: Select all

[smtpout.secureserver.net]
This will make Postfix lookup the IP address for the host, instead of looking up the MX host. For example: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relayhost
THANK YOU!!! That did the trick!

Much appreciated!

-Alan