Forum in the Newsletter

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
ribalba

Forum in the Newsletter

Post by ribalba » 2010/04/08 23:21:03

Hey

Unfortunately I don't really have time to contribute much to the forum. But it seams to be a massive part of the C (in CentOS) that is often overlooked. I was thinking that maybe the Newsletter could get a section "Forum" where trends and popular threads are posted and such people can get an overview over the activities.

Is someone interested in such a thing. Do you guys/gals think that that would be useful or worth the time?

Comments welcome and I hope I will find the time to read more threads :)

Cheers Didi

toracat
Site Admin

Forum in the Newsletter

Post by toracat » 2010/04/09 00:02:42

Welcome to the CentOS forums, [b]Didi[/b]. :-)

Thanks for thinking about getting the forum activities more visible. I think that [b]Phil[/b] (pschaff) is the coordinator of the Forum-related topics for the newsletter at this moment. But he is way too busy to do everything by himself. :-o

Hope your call to the forum members will find more people who can volunteer in this effort.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Forum in the Newsletter

Post by pschaff » 2010/04/09 02:33:05

I have contributed best of forum bits, CentOS in the media links, and done some proofing/editing on newsletters in the past, and hope to do so again, but [b]real life [TM][/b] is quite demanding these days, not to mention moderator and QA activities, so probably no time soon. Hope other volunteers will step up.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2010/04/09 13:54:08

We certainly have numerous knowledgeable helpers here on the fora -- I won't mention any names but they know who they are.

If anyone feels that they could contribute to the newsletter -- either regularly or occasionally -- please have a read of [url=http://wiki.centos.org/Newsletter/Contributing]contributing to the CentOS Newsletter[/url] and then make contact.

If you think "[i]but my native language isn't English[/i]", don't worry. Assuming your posts are understood here, the proof-readers will be able to "polish up" your contribution. ;-)

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2010/04/09 19:27:37

Newsletter? :-o

Oh my, slipped that I haven't generally browsed the Wiki. Always too busy
to hunt for specific information.

Pedantically, in the "contributing to" there is recommendation to spell-check
"english". However, my non-native experience is that there are two languages:
"en_US" and "en_UK". Not that I would usually resort to a checker of any kind.

A question to the OP though: what is "popularity" in the context of technical
problems?

ribalba

Post by ribalba » 2010/04/10 13:02:54

Thanks for all the replies.

About the UK vs. US thing: I don't really care to be totally honest. I personally prefer the UK language because I think "color" just looks wrong but that is just me being British, I suppose 8-)

Conclusion: I can't really spell myself and I don't care.

What is interesting and what is not is totally in the perspective of the author. I want to summarize everything that is on the ML that has more than 20 replies. But there are some posts that get zero replies that are really worth reading. Of course the readers might disagree. This is quite difficult but I am convinced that anyone here has a good judgment.

Cheers Didi

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/04/10 13:16:10

Can't say that 20 (or any given number of) replies is a good criterion to apply. Lots of the very long threads are quite confusing and tend to be long because the OP fails to provide clear information, to understand the advice given, or to follow it correctly. I'd go more for "informative or interesting:" threads in the judgment of your volunteer correspondent[s].

Oh, and "colour" looks wrong on this side of the pond, but we generally get the meaning and won't complain. ;-)

ribalba

Post by ribalba » 2010/04/10 13:27:43

True. Sometimes the long posts are just tedious and boring (except flame wars :lol: ). I should have highlighted the judgment thing.

I always say to my GF "If that is the only thing we can fight about, things can't be that bad." color vs. colour might be one of those :P

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2010/04/10 16:25:25

I've just had a thought, although [b]toracat[/b] has greeted [b]Didi[/b], none of us have yet typed --

"[i]Welcome to the [/i]CentOS[i] fora.

The recommended reading for all new members is the [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=47]FAQ & Readme First[/url].[/i]"

As is well known, I have a very thick skin . . . :-P

On the language subject, to wind-up my cousins who are based to the west of that damp patch (the Atlantic puddle), I always say that English is the language of England and is used throughout the United Kingdom, whereas in the US of A they use a variation of it, American English.