Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Beta Available Today for Public Download

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Beta Available Today for Public Download

Post by pschaff » 2010/04/23 02:48:15

[quote]
NedSlider wrote:
Ah, you got me there then. I have the full list of resolutions available even if it stubbornly refuses to budge on my monitor.[/quote]
I know, from past experience, that I can get higher default resolution choices by installing VirtualBox Guest Additions, but that it is possible to configure the full screen resolution by choosing a generic LCD monitor of the appropriate resolution in system-config-display without installing them. gnome-display-properties lacks that capability, so you are stuck with the detected resolutions.

lostson

Post by lostson » 2010/04/23 03:01:23

Well all installed up and running, nvidia drivers are a pain to install had to edit the already gigantic kernel mode line in grub.conf & blacklist the nouveau module completely just to get it to build. Pretty much the same way to get it working in Fedora 12 and up. FN keys for brightness on my laptop still do not work they have only worked in 1 linux distro and i wont mention which one. Boot time is rather slow and really nothing that makes me really all that excited about. Repo's are pretty much dry of anything extra I would want to install so I'm assuming I would have to go on a rampage buiilding rpm's for programs I want to have. The whole package kit bug that was posted earlier I remember reading all that when it happened in Fedora and hopefully that gets fixed in RHEL but I'm pretty sure it isnt changing in Fedora. All in all pretty blah so there the excitement is over I would give it a C- and i think that is generous good for business & enterprise but not much else. ho hum back to the draft that has been much more excitng. Fonts look nice though, whoa now my brightness went way dim and then back to full brightness ouch damn it!

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2010/04/23 03:40:42

Re the packagekit issue, the big furor, that made slashdot and distrowatch was that it allowed both installation and upgrade of signed packages. The developer apparently feels there's a major difference between that and upgrading.

One thing one forgets is how much we rely on these extra repos, such as rpmforge, or rpmfusion in Fedora. There is no package for flux or open box, I haven't even looked at getting things like mp3s working.

It will probably make it easier to find and build things that I want, such the arora browser, as it has newer gcc and such.

etfong

Post by etfong » 2010/04/23 04:42:28

I'll start be saying "when is Centos-6 releasing" lol. I'll be installing this on Vmware and reporting about them bugs to both RedHat and Vmware.

Kernel Version seems to follow Fedora at 2.6.32 which is more recent than Fedora 12 release but not as recent as Fedora 13 Beta.

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Post by NedSlider » 2010/04/23 16:36:23

[quote]
lostson wrote:
Well all installed up and running, nvidia drivers are a pain to install had to edit the already gigantic kernel mode line in grub.conf & blacklist the nouveau module completely just to get it to build. Pretty much the same way to get it working in Fedora 12 and up. [/quote]

We've already started working at ELRepo towards getting the nvidia drivers packaged for rhel6 by the time it's released. We hope to have some testing packages ready some time soon.

JakeS

Post by JakeS » 2010/04/23 17:00:11

Got it installing right NOW in a VM on virtualbox :D (On monitor #2).

After a rather long download, on a rather slow wireless connection (through move, until i get things sorted here I'm stuck with wireless (Yes with a desktop)

By slow I mean:
100%[====================================>] 3,827,048,448 78.3K/s in 19h 36m

+ I also had one fail yesterday! -.-. (SHA1SUM didn't match after DL & vbox would not add it to media!!!!)

But yeah, damn I don't know what is wrong with me, is it right for me to be "Excited"? (As wrong as that sounds! but not in that way!) very odd indeed. I'm genuinely having fun.. installing an operating system.. what the hecks wrong with me? :lol:

--

Although so far so good, I could not get FC13's Installer to get past hardware probe (It just flicked and stopped) in virtualbox, yet this, using the same installer, is working fine, how strange.

Looking neat so far. Though I'm partially testing this also for "Desktop usage" as I might load my next box, (or this box even) with CentOS 6 (final though) for that bit more extra stability, now that it's a tad more up-to-date :-) instead of just on servers :)

Anyhow.. back to RHEL6 I go.. Package 758 of 1186 done.. closer.. closer... closer...

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/04/24 00:41:27

system-config-display from Fedora 12 SRPM does build and run on RHEL6, and allows setting the monitor to Generic LCD to get full screen resolution under VirtualBox, and presumably real hardware that is not recognized. Beats me why RH would drop this.

Copying a working 5.4 xorg.conf file is another workaround for the missing functionality.

Performance seems noticeably snappier than CentOS 5 on the same hardware/virtualization environment.

More downside - have been unable to get NFS mounts to work as a client, either from the command-line or with autofs. Hangs ~forever with no apparent errors on the client or server. :-( Still googling.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2010/04/24 00:52:27

That's part of the good. Much as I rant about Fedora, there have been improvements in the kernel since 5.x

Minor Fedora-ism aggravations--what seems to be a regression in Ananconda (that was already present in Fedora)--it can't install from a plain ISO image. In other words, I could put a CentOS iso image on a hard drive or NFS share and point 5.x to it. With Fedora and RH6, one has to mount -o loop to do it. (This is covered in the Fedora release notes under other methods of installation--Rahul makes tremendous efforts to keep Fedora's docs current, and as importantly, relevant to the users--he will spend time on the Fedora forums to see what problems people are having. (There are several other developers and others, such as as Adam WIlliamson who deserve praise for, in part, actually listening to the users, but the list is too long.)

Also on the bright side, this one can go on many netbooks without problem. (5.5 will also improve interaction with netbook hardware, having the ath9k driver, a popular one, at least on the Asus machine.s)

I've put it on my Asus 1000HE and it found wired and wireless without problem. (I installed it over NFS.)

All in all, I think CentOS 6, when it does appear, is going to be a good thing despite the many Fedora regressions. One thing I find is how I miss 3rd party repos--for example, it didn't have fluxbox or openbox. Tried to use an rpm I'd built for CentOS (using a later version of fluxbox than Dag has) but it needed some things that were unavailable. Eventually, I was able to build it from source. One hopes that rpmforge catches up quickly once it's released. (I realize all this is premature, but one does forget how we take it for granted.)

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/04/24 01:52:58

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
More downside - have been unable to get NFS mounts to work as a client, either from the command-line or with autofs. Hangs ~forever with no apparent errors on the client or server. :-( Still googling.[/quote]

So, defaults to NFS-4. For a CentOS 5.x server with NFS-3 adding a line in /etc/nfsmount.conf
Defaultvers=3

Allows a "normal" mount to work.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2010/04/24 06:19:12

Then network issue is covered in the release notes, and is a beta type thing--the user will be able to access NetworkManager during the installation. One does hope they've fixed the Fedora issue that NM seems to have a lot of trouble with static IP addresses.