Serial port bash script or USB for LED control

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
torontob123

Post by torontob123 » 2010/09/25 03:25:23

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this way of topic on this forum. I have recently installed CentOS on a customize AMD Geode motherboard (small one) that is a great embedded system. Alix board! It has a Com port (9 pin) like:
..... ....

And a USB port (9 pin) like this:

I want to take advantage of either of the ports (which ever is easier to program) to install a 3-colour LED (Red, Green, Yellow). I am looking for very basic and simple LEDs or little lights that can interface to either the USB or the Servial COM port.

I have previously worked with Parallel port and I was able to program a little security program to check for an open or closed circuit. However this is different I guess as I want to be able to make the LEDs or lights blink, turn on and off or have all lights on at the same time.

I would really hate the idea of a microprocessor for these lights as it would not only raise my costs (looking to do a few hundreds of these) and it will also take a lot of space (I am limited with space).

If you can shade some light on the type of the equipment I need or the software process or guides/tutorials to program this on either of the USB 9 pin port or the COM 9 pin port it would be really helpful to me.

Thanks a lot.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2010/09/25 16:36:37

Re-homing this thread in [i]Social[/i], as it does not contain a specific [i]CentOS[/i] support query. :-)

torontobb

Re: Serial port bash script or USB for LED control

Post by torontobb » 2010/12/31 23:04:34

Anything on this guys?

I have this item from DealExtreme: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27062

Really neat unit that comes with a custom driver for windows from: http://www.huuf.info/USBMailNotifierSetup.msi

I would like to know if I can use "lsusb" command to communicate to this device via bash?

Thanks