kingston flash memory, autorun.inf can't be deleted

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
sameh_yassin99

Post by sameh_yassin99 » 2010/10/02 06:16:33

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine has a problrm with his flash memory "Kingston, DataTraveller 120,16GB". His operating sytem is windows Xp, when he inserts the flash the operating system keeps saying that it detected the hardware, then it removes it.
I mean that at windows explorer, the flash appears as a new volume, then disppears, then appears, then disappears then .... :-D

He thought that it is a hardware problem. However, I asked him to use this flash on my lovely operating system "CentOs 5.2". As I excepected, I'm able to access all files, read them, delete them. but there is a small problem
[quote]There are two strange files, one of them is recycler.bin and autrun.inf everytime I delete them as root they are restored when I mount the flash again[/quote]

Have you guys heared about something like this before, I really dun understand how the file autorun.inf restore itself again although I'm sure there are no roots for it inside the flash.

regards,
S. Yassin

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/10/02 21:27:19

Does not seem to have anything to do with CentOS. I expect the behavior would be the same for any *nix. Moving to Social. Tell your friend to try their [url=http://www.kingston.com/asia/support/default.asp]Tech Support[/url].

As to your "lovely operating system", you should immediately update to the current release 5.5. 5.2 is seriously obsolete and has numerous known bugs and security issues that have been fixed in subsequent updates. Obsolete releases are not supported, nor is it advisable to be running them. See the [url=http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.5]CentOS 5.5 Release Notes[/url] Section 4 for details on the recommended update procedure. (Prompts me to mention that your friend might check to see if he has XP SP2 or better.)