CentOS 6 release??

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
samrat_rao

Re: CentOS 6 release??

Post by samrat_rao » 2011/07/10 20:08:12

Its done at last !! Waiting patiently for months...

Many thanks to all the devs and QA teams. Great to know of the Continous Release repository as well. :-)

AlexAT

Post by AlexAT » 2011/07/11 03:27:01

Cheers to all the CentOS team, including devs, QA, mirror operators and whoever else may be involved!

helikaon

Post by helikaon » 2011/07/11 14:11:35

[quote]
AlexAT wrote:
Cheers to all the CentOS team, including devs, QA, mirror operators and whoever else may be involved![/quote]

Well,
i started this very successfull topic, so let me say: 'cheers to the moderators of this forum'.
For their patient, relentless approach to 'hotheaded' people asking about the release date of 6th version :-)
As for me the delay of 8 or 9 months is a bit too big delay to say, i'm cheerfull about it.
I moved to other rhel clone and as for centos, i'll stay in 'monitoring' mode to see how is the situation evolving, but i dont plan on installing 6th any soon.
We will see - hopefully centos users will not have to face such long wait again. :-)

satch89450

Post by satch89450 » 2011/07/14 15:01:20

[quote]
mickrussom wrote:
[quote]
AlanBartlett wrote:
And "I shall ensure that it is seen by the relevant people.[/quote]

The comment above was comparing the CentOS 6 disaster to a glacial development process by an overly bureaucratic Bank supply company. That's hardly a complement.

Also, I really don't think what has happened to the CentOS 6 release cycle is something to be encouraged, and the guy at the bank supply company had development to do. Here this a lot of packaging and figuring to do, but RedHat did all of the heavy lifting, and SL is on 6.1 test releases now, OEL 6.1is out, etc - this release cycle has been a nightmare and we are going to thank people for an unfinished 6.0 ?

I'm surprised.[/quote]

Actually, the "overly bureaucratic Bank supply company" was a very small family-owned outfit. Eight product programmers, four electronics enginners, and four mechanical engineers. This was in the 70s, mind you, when we had a whole 32,768 words (65,536) of core memory to play in. Supported a bank check reader-sorter, up to 32 key-to-disk stations, and other stuff that got bolted on when the sales force sold things we didn't have. The reason the development was not completed quickly was that our company had to respond quickly to customer requests, so the priority of the system improvements was low indeed. Had to make those quarterly numbers!

Didn't we have a concurrent development project with CentOS 5? Interesting parallel.

I just installed CentOS 6.0 last night (long night). There were a lot of packages, far more than when I installed Centos 5.1 for the first time. (I won't talk about my creaking mail server, which started with Centos 4.0.) The fact that I had to use a dual-layer DVD blank says something about the magnitude of the undertaking to take the "heavy-lifted" RedHat package and make the necessary modifications to remove trademarks. First you have to find 'em, and have you ever tried to do that on a large corpus of software yourself? Then you have to write patches, and make damn sure you didn't break something in the process. (I tell you the story of a MultiTech modem I was reviewing for InfoWorld magazine: they send new ROMs that "changed one byte" -- and the whole modem went to shit. Three ROM spins later, they were able to fix the original problem without collateral damage.)

Now, why what I said was intended to be a compliment: I learned that the developers had put automation in place to speed up the process of scouring the packages, building the packages, and testing the packages so the wall time to get the job done decreases. The proof will be how the developers get 6.1 going, now that 6.0 is released. Indeed, I suspect the process has already started, evidenced by the fact that the "yum update" I did after the install last night downloaded a ton of package updates. Representing a lot of work in a short time.

Calling the CentOS 6.0 development a "disaster" is a little extreme, IMHO.

I lament the wait, just as you do. I prefer my software to be right, particularly when I'm betting my livelihood on it.

dfrg_msc

Post by dfrg_msc » 2011/07/15 08:27:15

The developers are still working on LiveCD/DVD and minimal/LWS CD of 6.0 these days. I think it is a total waste of time! Upstream 6.1 has been released for almost 2 months, 6.0 is not a good choice for servers now. LiveCD/DVD and minimal/LWS CD work can be and has to be done after 6.1 rebuilt. These CDs for 6.0 is of no use at this point. As a result, developers have to work on this twice.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/15 13:48:07

Much of the work done on 6.0 LiveCD/DVD, minimal, and LWS CDs will be directly applicable to the corresponding products for the 6.1 minor release, so saying it is a total waste of time is a rather serious exaggeration.

I agree that most people with mission-critical applications will not deploy 6.0 but the decision was made long ago to produce a 6.0 release as the best path to get to a solid 6.1 release. These efforts are consistent with that approach, and hopefully all the hard work that went into 6.0 will enable a 6.1 release sooner rather than later. I will not attempt to quantify "sooner" nor "later". :-D

dfrg_msc

Post by dfrg_msc » 2011/07/16 06:24:30

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
Much of the work done on 6.0 LiveCD/DVD, minimal, and LWS CDs will be directly applicable to the corresponding products for the 6.1 minor release, so saying it is a total waste of time is a rather serious exaggeration.

I agree that most people with mission-critical applications will not deploy 6.0 but the decision was made long ago to produce a 6.0 release as the best path to get to a solid 6.1 release. These efforts are consistent with that approach, and hopefully all the hard work that went into 6.0 will enable a 6.1 release sooner rather than later. I will not attempt to quantify "sooner" nor "later". :-D[/quote]

So when approximately will these ISOs be released? And when will 6.1 work start?

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/16 14:11:08

[quote]
dfrg_msc wrote:
So when approximately will these ISOs be released?[/quote]
Soon.

[quote]
And when will 6.1 work start?[/quote]
[quote]
pschaff wrote:
... I will not attempt to quantify "sooner" nor "later". :-D[/quote]
Work toward 6.1 has started. The real (unanswerable) question is: "When will 6.1 work end?"

Now we are really OT on a thread entitled " CentOS 6 release??" I think it is time to leave this epic, often acrimonious, and obsolete topic and suggest any additional 6.x discussions should be conducted in the new CentOS 6 fora or in new Social topics.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/07/16 21:48:15

[quote]
Now we are really OT on a thread entitled " CentOS 6 release??" I think it is time to leave this epic, often acrimonious, and obsolete topic and suggest any additional 6.x discussions should be conducted in the new CentOS 6 fora or in new Social topics.
[/quote]
With [b]Phil[/b]'s last paragraph in mind, I would like to thank all past contributors to this thread as I am now locking it, so as to allow it to "Rot In Peace". ;-)