Fedora 13 to CentOS 6

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
Gilbert12

Fedora 13 to CentOS 6

Post by Gilbert12 » 2010/12/04 01:36:33

I'm running Fedora 13 and planning to switch to CentOS or SELinux soon as version 6 comes out. My question is: how do I switch data and... configuration, if possible?

If the directory structure is pretty much the same, if I do a back-up of my present /home and a restore on the new system, is there any chance that this would work?

Also, I heard that, contrary to dot releases, it will take about 3 months until CentOS 6 is final. I understand that all RH mentions should be removed, but I suppose this is a pretty automatic process, done with a search and replace. Compiling takes longer but, if a few computers are available, it shouldn't take that long.

So, what takes 3 months? I'm not complaining, I just want to understand the process better. I'm afraid my way of seeing things will seem outlandish :)

TIA

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Fedora 13 to CentOS 6

Post by pschaff » 2010/12/07 16:25:13

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Reading [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=47]FAQ & Readme First[/url] is recommended for new users.
[quote]
Gilbert12 wrote:
I'm running Fedora 13 and planning to switch to CentOS or SELinux soon as version 6 comes out. My question is: how do I switch data and... configuration, if possible?

If the directory structure is pretty much the same, if I do a back-up of my present /home and a restore on the new system, is there any chance that this would work? [/quote]
There is a reasonably good chance of having that work. You should even be able to copy entries from /etc/ files passwd, shadow, group, and gshadow and insert them using vipw and vigr. Some other config files may work as well.

[quote]
Also, I heard that, contrary to dot releases, it will take about 3 months until CentOS 6 is final.[/quote]
Don't know where you heard that, but at this point I'd say it is TBD. Hope for the best and plan for the worst. :-)

[quote]
I understand that all RH mentions should be removed, but I suppose this is a pretty automatic process, done with a search and replace. Compiling takes longer but, if a few computers are available, it shouldn't take that long.[/quote]
It is not as automated as you may imagine. There is also an extensive process involving the CentOS QA team to test and ensure that things are working properly before the new distribution is released publicly.

As there is no CentOS 5 question here this thread is being moved to Social.

Gilbert12

Re: Fedora 13 to CentOS 6

Post by Gilbert12 » 2010/12/07 18:41:09

[quote]
There is a reasonably good chance of having that work. You should even be able to copy entries from /etc/ files passwd, shadow, group, and gshadow and insert them using vipw and vigr. Some other config files may work as well.[/quote]

Sounds nice :)
[quote]
It is not as automated as you may imagine.[/quote]

Why? What's the process of producing CentOS?

[quote]
There is also an extensive process involving the CentOS QA team to test and ensure that things are working properly before the new distribution is released publicly.[/quote]

Didn't the upstream company -- is it permitted to name it here? :) -- do all the testing needed?

[quote]As there is no CentOS 5 question here this thread is being moved to Social.[/quote]

I had to use Google to get here...

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/12/07 18:50:43

[quote]
Gilbert12 wrote:
Why? What's the process of producing CentOS?[/quote]
The answer to that is rather more complicated than I am willing to get into here. Suffice it to say that there are many references to Red Hat in RPMs that may and should remain, and others that must be removed to avoid trademark issues. All Red Hat trademarked images must be found and replaced by CentOS equivalents. Packages that access RHN must be modified or removed. There is no automated process for doing all of this.

[quote]
Didn't the upstream company -- is it permitted to name it here? :) -- do all the testing needed? [/quote]
No. The installation images need to be tested, and there are sometimes forgotten/missing packages, as well as those that must be modified to make CentOS work and avoid infringement of Red Hat trademarks and RHN channels.

[quote]
I had to use Google to get here...[/quote]
Just looking at the [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=14]CentOS Social forum[/url] should have sufficed.

Gilbert12

Post by Gilbert12 » 2010/12/08 04:05:32

pschaff wrote:

[quote]
Just looking at the [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=14]CentOS Social forum[/url] should have sufficed.[/quote]

Thanks for all the info but there seems to be no way to get to this page from the menus at the top of the page (Home, Donate, Information and so on.)

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/12/08 15:33:55

The navigation is not as friendly as it might be. Hopefully the long-awaited "Website 2.0" will make it better if/when it arrives. Meanwhile, following the [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/index.php]www.centos.org Forum Index[/url] link near the top of any Forum page will get you there.

Gilbert12

Post by Gilbert12 » 2010/12/11 00:55:11

Veni, vidi... vici.

Thanks!

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/12/12 13:20:27

You are welcome, and congratulations on your successful conquest. :-)