Negative Article on CentOS in Linux Magazine

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
RonB

Re: Negative Article on CentOS in Linux Magazine

Post by RonB » 2011/04/21 01:54:43

[quote]
pschaff wrote:

Just for the record - that is Karanbir Singh.[/quote]

I knew I should have looked that up. I apologize.

jt867

Post by jt867 » 2011/04/22 01:07:03

[quote]
mickrussom wrote:
[quote]
jt867 wrote:
I felt that it was a little harsh.[/quote]

Not harsh enough. This project has some fairly totalitarian overlords that hide the meat and potatoes on how to cobble together a whitebox distro.

And its too bad, as many of the competing whitebox RHEL distros gave their lives to this project, Whitebox, Tao, etc, and now the overlords run it like a bunch Skeksis brooding over a dark crystal that is cracked and need of repair.[/quote]

I remember Tao Linux. I think that the creator of Tao Linux discontinued Tao and joined this project.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/04/22 01:11:48

Discontinued and pointed users to CentOS yes, joined no.

toracat
Site Admin

Post by toracat » 2011/04/22 15:12:17

To be a bit more precise ...

The creator of Tao Linux, David Parsley, did join the CentOS team when Tao Linux was closed. He later left the project.

https://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=135

mickrussom

Post by mickrussom » 2011/04/25 09:44:04

[quote]
RonB wrote:

Oh good grief. Could you be any more melodramatic? I'm sure Whitebox, Tao, etc., were all going "great guns" when they "suddenly" decided to give it all up "for the cause of CentOS." While I would like to see CentOS point releases come out a bit faster, I'm not quite sure how that is achieved by sniping from the sidelines. I see calls for help on certain processes here -- stuff that I'm not qualified to do -- but I don't see many volunteers. I guess actually doing something is a bit harder than constant jaw jacking.[/quote]

Oh, you know, they chased all the volunteers away. Read the mailing lists. Pay close attention to Dag Wieers. He is an RPM and REPO lord and master, and he was on the CentOS team. They drummed him out, lashed out at him, ostracized him and finally blackballed him.

CentOS was blessed with some of the best RPM folks out there. And now their ashes have been scattered in the sands of time. We are left with a few, as in, less than 2-3 people, that can pull off a point release. tens of thousands of users and millions of computers and quite possibly the fate of the world if CentOS lead to a NASA asteroid-detection computer making a mistake due to bugs not fixed all lies at the hands of a few power hungry zealots making volunteering impossible, and draconian gag orders prevent any anointed QA folks from letting the community participate in testing these builds before the overlords design us cannon-fodder-users should be blessed with their work.

I remember the days of Caos, Tao, and whitebox, and it was great to see the community work towards one whitebox distro. Now we have resident tyrants.

mickrussom

Post by mickrussom » 2011/04/25 09:46:20

[quote]
toracat wrote:
To be a bit more precise ...

The creator of Tao Linux, David Parsley, did join the CentOS team when Tao Linux was closed. He later left the project.

https://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=135[/quote]

I wonder what made him leave....

I wonder....

Seems like a pattern and now we only have a few overlords left in power. Needless to say one deduce where the problems lie.

RonB

Post by RonB » 2011/04/25 23:20:27

[quote]
mickrussom wrote:

I wonder what made him leave....

I wonder....

Seems like a pattern and now we only have a few overlords left in power. Needless to say one deduce where the problems lie.[/quote]

Let's, of course, *assume* the worst. It couldn't possibly be that he was burned out, or his workload increased at his day job -- or a thousand reasons why people leave projects. It, "of course," *had* to be something nefarious from the CentOS team.

Good grief.

mickrussom

Post by mickrussom » 2011/04/26 07:22:45

[quote]
RonB wrote:
Let's, of course, *assume* the worst. It couldn't possibly be that he was burned out, or his workload increased at his day job -- or a thousand reasons why people leave projects. It, "of course," *had* to be something nefarious from the CentOS team.

Good grief.[/quote]

Seems the body count here is rather high. Seems that a lot of talent, - good talent - left. Seems to me that there is a lot of strife. Its not a matter of nefarious, its a matter of dictatorship.

DdeBeer

Post by DdeBeer » 2011/04/29 21:14:35

Ok just to say some thing more related to the title of the topic, isn't this type of press killing to the CentOS project. This because if people stop advising CeonOS to organisations the potential to collect revenues will dry up, all do the distribution of these seemed to be a problem based on recent past, and all what will be left as users who will be disgruntled even more by every new release from RH. This because the members of the core team will see an even greater workload on the horizon. That is if they are still a member of that team.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/04/29 21:25:38

There is no revenue stream to dry up. Donations of other resources might be adversely impacted.

[url=http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=23]Donate[/url]