Abandon Ship

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: Abandon Ship

Post by scottro » 2011/05/27 02:45:26

Actually Alan, I suspect that what was meant was an ignore function, available on some forums, so that one can put a particular user into their ignore list. (I think, anyway, maybe that's just mailing lists with a good filtering program)

@Ideal, unfortunately, like CentOS itself, this forum shows its age, and some of the more modern features aren't yet available. Whether that particular function will be available when the forum modernizes, I'm not sure.

Ideal

Post by Ideal » 2011/05/27 06:24:44

[quote]
AlanBartlett wrote:
[quote]
mods: Is there anyway to ignore certain users like this?
[/quote]
[b]Ideal[/b] -- Your ignorance is under your own control. To use the words of a [b][i]Nike[/i][/b] advertisement from quite a number of years ago: "[i]Just Do It.[/i]"

If you are attempting to prompt either my colleagues or myself to take some action, then I would advise you to read (or re-read) the [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14274&forum=47]Forum Guidelines[/url] and take note of the method we expect users to use when they feel a complaint needs to be made.[/quote]

Nice. As scottro pointed out I was looking for an ignore user option and he also provided the answer which, unfortunately, is no there isn't.

ApocalypseXS

Post by ApocalypseXS » 2011/05/29 14:06:12

Yay - a troll the candy and cream of the internet . Do you think that a statistic showing how many dedis and VPSes use centOS would shut them up ?

I mean i think centOS probably has over 40% of the server market .

HerpGuy

Post by HerpGuy » 2011/05/29 22:29:45

[quote]
ApocalypseXS wrote:
Yay - a troll the candy and cream of the internet . Do you think that a statistic showing how many dedis and VPSes use centOS would shut them up ?

I mean i think centOS probably has over 40% of the server market .[/quote]

Last statistic I saw was I think 29% of the server market.
Kind of hard to judge that though. Do 37 apache virtual hosts with the same IP count as 1 or 37?
What about my case where I have two IPs running from the same xen virtualhost, does that count as 2 or 1, and what about the other xen virtualhosts on the same piece of hardware (that I believe is running TUV but maybe is running CentOS and the hosting company doesn't want to sound cheap??)

I don't like statistics like that.
CentOS is extremely valuable to me because my organization can not afford TUV. In fact, last time our SSL cert expired, we opted to go self-signed because it offers the same point to point security and we are so tight $100 is a lot to us, even though the browser warning scares some users (we don't do financial transactions, just don't want webapp logins sniffed)

PDR60

Post by PDR60 » 2011/06/30 19:17:09

[quote]
AbandonShip wrote:
Enough said?[/quote]

Feel free any time you want to. We use CentOS for production dev and test. 5.6 is rock solid. We also have RHEL 6.0 for an oracle crm product that is a real heavy user. We will be building that on CentOS 6.0 whenever its released. If you just have to have 6.0, bail. Its not that big of a deal. Rememebr this project is all volunteer!! I think I can speak for many many CentOS users in that we appriciate all the dedicated devs and all their hard work. And most of all, you guys take your time, release when its ready. We'll patiently wait and enjoy our solid updated 5.6 clusters.

I get tired of hearing all the noise from folks that demand imidiate updates but don't want to contribute to said update. You want it faster, roll up your sleaves and get to work. Otherwise be quiet and patient like the rest of us and most of all be thankful for others work.

kearney

Post by kearney » 2011/07/06 15:14:05

Glad he jumped ship. Anyone who joins just to post a flame is dumb.

I for one don't understand why everyone is harping that there is no CentOS 6 yet. What is it that you all are wanting? PHP 5.3 is included in CentOS 5.6. Apache ain't been changed in a while.

JBoss 7 works just fine along with the latest Java JDK and Glassfish. What won't work on CentOS 5.6 that is making everyone so angry? Is it because they all want Gnome 15 or whatever Gnome's at?

(P.S. I know it's Gnome 3 I'm just making fun of people who want bleeding edge in a stable production ready OS)

blackax

Post by blackax » 2011/07/06 15:52:00

You can have a stable OS with out being 5 years out of date. Even the new kernel is 2 years out of date.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/06 23:47:08

[quote]
blackax wrote:
You can have a stable OS with out being 5 years out of date. Even the new kernel is 2 years out of date.[/quote]
I believe you are looking for the [url=http://www.fedoraforum.org/]Fedora Forum[/url] or perhaps [url=http://ubuntuforums.org/]Ubuntu Forums[/url] or [url=http://forums.debian.net/]Debian Forums[/url]. You are clearly not at home here.

RonB

Post by RonB » 2011/07/07 08:23:35

[quote]
blackax wrote:
You can have a stable OS with out being 5 years out of date. Even the new kernel is 2 years out of date.[/quote]

Well, "go for it" then -- with the emphasis on "go." But seriously, if you want cutting edge over stability than you'd probably be happier with a different Linux distribution.

kearney

Post by kearney » 2011/07/07 16:08:50

[quote]
Well, "go for it" then -- with the emphasis on "go." But seriously, if you want cutting edge over stability than you'd probably be happier with a different Linux distribution.[/quote]

I think it is funny how the people wanting a newer kernel haven't yet said what it is they want that 5.6 doesn't have :-?