Red Hat 6.1 final is out !!! when centos 6.1 ?

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
canuck15

Re: Red Hat 6.1 final is out !!! when centos 6.1 ?

Post by canuck15 » 2011/05/26 16:02:28

[quote]
RonB wrote:
[quote]
canuck15 wrote:
[quote]
@CentOS wrote:
@keller_clay were going to get 6.0 done, then 6.1; no estimates in place as yet, but 2 - 3 weeks from 6.0 release should be possible
[/quote]

BAHAHAhahahaha.......Now THAT...is FUNNY. Just goes to show what drivel you can find on Twitter. Wonder if they kept a straight face when they typed that or maybe they were smokin something.[/quote]

Good grief, grow up. Are you in Junior High School, or what? And doesn't SL desperately *need* your "help?" (How long before you're bitching like this on their forums?)[/quote]

Roger that Charlie Brown.

The fact SL doesn't need my help and doesn't ask for it....AND...the fact CentOS desperately needs my help and doesn't want it.....IS>>THE>>>WHOLE>>>POINT.

A point that seems completely lost on you.

canuck15

Post by canuck15 » 2011/05/26 16:05:16

[quote]
RonB wrote:
[quote]
canuck15 wrote:

Ahhh yes, the "you ungrateful bastard" argument. Gosh, never heard that one before.....except maybe a few thousand times! [/quote]

Perhaps the issue is your inability to "get" the message. But, if you're so happy with SL, why are you *here* whining?[/quote]

Now you are just lashing out blindly. Who are you and why should I care anyways? I will post wherever and whenever I want. If you don't like it you are free to leave.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/05/26 17:19:39

[quote]
I will post wherever and whenever I want.
[/quote]
Until such time as you [1] commit a transgression that requires a moderator's action.

-------------------------------------------

[1] "you" refers to any person posting to these fora and not necessarily the author of the preceding post.

RonB

Post by RonB » 2011/05/26 22:34:38

[quote]
WhatsHisName wrote:

In a debate, name calling and personal innuendo are not substitutes for solid facts supporting your position. Your lack of a professional and courteous response does not bolster your case.[/quote]

Actually I've introduced many solid facts -- you and others have simply ignored them. As for "name calling" and "lack of professional and courteous response" perhaps you should look at your own words -- and those of Canuck15 and others. Or do you think those who have registered for this forum merely to attack CentOS (not you) are "professional" and "courteous?"

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2011/05/26 23:35:18

[quote]RonB wrote:

Actually I've introduced many solid facts -- you and others have simply ignored them. As for "name calling" and "lack of professional and courteous response" perhaps you should look at your own words -- and those of Canuck15 and others. Or do you think those who have registered for this forum merely to attack CentOS (not you) are "professional" and "courteous?"[/quote]
Au contraire, my words have directly addressed the relative merits of the security updates vs. shiny new installation disks as metrics, [b]something you have gone to great lengths to avoid[/b].

In contrast, your responses have been simple confrontation devoid of intellectual merit.

Your approach to the underlying issues brings to mind the Monty Python skit [url=http://www.montypython.net/scripts/argument.php]The Argument[/url].

[quote]M: Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please.
M: Oh no you didn't!
O: Oh yes I did!
Oh no you didn't!
O: Oh yes I did!
M: Oh no you didn't!
...[/quote]
Do you honestly think that by simply disagreeing that you will win any converts to your point of view?

Or is the purpose of your participation to simply entertain yourself through confrontation?

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2011/05/27 02:47:31

There HAS to be a way to insert a Spanish Inquisition joke here, but it's too hot and I'm tired.

Here's the [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprjmoSMJ-o]link[/url] if anyone has a joke.

hawaiian717

Post by hawaiian717 » 2011/05/27 19:16:58

[quote]
scottro wrote:
There HAS to be a way to insert a Spanish Inquisition joke here, but it's too hot and I'm tired.
[/quote]

It will be two weeks until the CentOS 6 release! 1...2...3. Three weeks! It will be three weeks until the CentOS 6 release! 1...2...3...4. Four weeks! It will be four weeks until the CentOS 6 release!

Nobody expects the CentOS 6 release!

On a more serious note, in response to the security updates vs shiny new discs issue, there may be some change in that as well. To the Twitterverse!

[quote]
@CentOS wrote:
We are looking at an opt-in release process for CentOS-5 and CentOS-6 , so users with an existing install are always in sync with updates.[/quote]

Then there was a reply from @sneakatdatavibe asking what that meant, which I can't find now. But in any case, the reply to that question is the interesting part:

[quote]
@CentOS wrote:
@sneakatdatavibe it means that you wont need to wait on iso media for updates to ship, if you have an existing centos-5 or centos-6 install[/quote]

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2011/05/27 19:58:41

CentOS, for one point release (don't remember which one, 4.2?, 4.3?, 5.1? or 5.2?), did make a large number of security updates available as they were built.

That was well received at the time but, as far as I recall, it has not been done on that scale since.

I do expect the current pressure will result in the revival of the process.

RonB

Post by RonB » 2011/05/28 03:13:10

[quote]
WhatsHisName wrote:

In contrast, your responses have been simple confrontation devoid of intellectual merit.[/quote]

What I've established *AS FACT* is that it takes about the same amount of time for CentOS and SL to rebuild a point release. CentOS is usually a bit faster. I've already admitted (several times now) that SL releases security updates as they go, but you continually fail to acknowledge this. And that doesn't change the FACT that the rebuild process itself, per point release, takes just about the same amount of time for both distributions.

Am I somehow obtuse on this point? This is the argument I've been making over and over again. Sorry if it's confusing to you.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/05/28 17:58:54

[quote]
RonB wrote:
Am I somehow obtuse on this point?[/quote]
The point you seem to be missing is the long delays in any security updates for CentOS as compared to SL.

[quote]
This is the argument I've been making over and over again.[/quote]
You have indeed been [b]very[/b] repetitive.

[quote]
Sorry if it's confusing to you.[/quote]
Confused no; weary of jabs back and forth between and among various pairs and factions, and going around the same circle again and again, yes.