CentOS 6.0 - downloads for the impatient :)

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
klank

Post by klank » 2011/07/09 15:05:02

[quote]
NedSlider wrote:
[quote]
klank wrote:
So the moderators are ready to tear someone a new a**hole for bad mouthing CentOS, but leave spam? unreal[/quote]

I don't see an email in my inbox from you reporting any spam at 5:16am my local time? I did see one from another member in this thread - thank you for that.

If you think you can come here and attack my fellow moderators then I'm afraid you've picked the wrong fight. Feel free to apologise any time you like :-)[/quote]

I think you are mistaken because I am not going to apologize for what my opinion is.

toracat
Site Admin

Re: CentOS 6.0 - downloads for the impatient

Post by toracat » 2011/07/09 16:32:24

Karanbir Singh posted this message on the CentOS mailing list:

[quote]
hi guys,

I appreciate that the visibility of centos-6 content is highly tempting
and many people are going to be jumping in to get on there asap -
however, I just want to point out that till its released, its liable to
change.

And I can *confirm* that content presently visible is going to change.
So hang in there, give it another day or so - dont do the installs till
the mirror system is online, till the sha sum's for content is
published, till the torrents are available.

- KB
[/quote]

toracat
Site Admin

Post by toracat » 2011/07/09 17:24:36

[quote]
klank wrote:

I think you are mistaken because I am not going to apologize for what my opinion is.[/quote]
One person's opinion may well send a wrong message to those who read it. So, taking this opprtunity, I'd like to tell forum users the "true" story. :-o

Many of you may have seen other forums loaded with spam posts. The CentOS forum is no exception in the sense that it is a target of constant attacks by spammers. We moderators delete them as soon as they are spotted. Sometimes those spam posts survive only for a minute, but other times a few hours. We often get alerts from users (thanks so much). A good spam filter would help but often times we have to make judgement as spammers are getting more and more "tactful" and there are a number of "grey area" posts.

klank

Post by klank » 2011/07/09 18:07:49

[quote]
toracat wrote:

Many of you may have seen other forums loaded with spam posts. The CentOS forum is no exception in the sense that it is a target of constant attacks by spammers. We moderators delete them as soon as they are spotted. Sometimes those spam posts survive only for a minute, but other times a few hours. We often get alerts from users (thanks so much). A good spam filter would help but often times we have to make judgement as spammers are getting more and more "tactful" and there are a number of "grey area" posts.[/quote]

Just a heads up. The mirror info thread is flooded with spam with the past few days to a week.

http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=22

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Post by NedSlider » 2011/07/09 18:16:40

[quote]
klank wrote:
[quote]
toracat wrote:

Many of you may have seen other forums loaded with spam posts. The CentOS forum is no exception in the sense that it is a target of constant attacks by spammers. We moderators delete them as soon as they are spotted. Sometimes those spam posts survive only for a minute, but other times a few hours. We often get alerts from users (thanks so much). A good spam filter would help but often times we have to make judgement as spammers are getting more and more "tactful" and there are a number of "grey area" posts.[/quote]

Just a heads up. The mirror info thread is flooded with spam with the past few days to a week.

http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=22[/quote]

Thanks for the notification, it is genuinely appreciated.

Unfortunately the forums moderators do not have access over the comments section of the website so we are unable to deal with spam posts in the comments section, only on the forums.

Only the core devs have full access, so you should report all instances of comment spam to them. Unfortunately I don't think they particularly care that much judging by the amount of comment spam.

klank

Post by klank » 2011/07/09 18:31:49

Thanks for the heads up on the separation of the teams.

I have submitted a message to the webmasters so they can hopefully take a look into cleaning that thread out. Some useful info in there...

AlexAT

Re: CentOS 6.0 - downloads for the impatient :)

Post by AlexAT » 2011/07/10 06:07:35

Pre-release .torrent files are "leaking" too. Starting seeding:

Both i386 and x86-64 torrent files here: http://filebeam.com/588133aeef6810d50e2082c4b4f07a7a (they are present on some mirrors, if you need to check).

There are some small changes in the ISOs compared to the previous pre-release leak. There are checksum files here as well, but they are not downloadable (at least now).

[b][color=FF0000]DO NOT USE THESE TORRENT ISOs before official release announcement.[/color][/b] If you use them, you'll have unsupported install as well.

The sole purpose of the leak is to have ISOs 99% predownloaded just at the release point and then begin working/testing immediately, without having to download much.

AlexAT

Post by AlexAT » 2011/07/10 11:34:17

Joined official seed for ones who's impatient @ [ http://twitter.com/#!/centos ]

http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/6.0/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.0-x86_64-bin-DVD.torrent

http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/6.0/isos/i386/CentOS-6.0-i386-bin-DVD.torrent

It's the same preseed as previous one posted above, except it's official pre-release seed. There is still a chance ISOs may be reissued though.

There are no checksum files that can be downloaded now, they will become downloadable only after the release I presume.

[b][color=ff0000]There is still no point in using these ISOs before official announcement, because: 1) they may be reissued; 2) they are (still) unsupported; 3) yum still won't work properly because mirrors are not synced / contain pre-release content.[/color][/b]

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/07/10 22:51:54

Please see [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25878&forum=53#threadbottom]When will CentOS 6 be out?[/url], post #14.