need help on RHSA exam

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
aliaj00

need help on RHSA exam

Post by aliaj00 » 2013/11/04 11:07:34

hi guys,

I got a month free :) and want to study for the RHSA. i have the hardware, and i wanted to ask about the virtual machine environment i might need to train with. some books say 3 virtual machine are required?? has anyone prepared a test network "VMs" for the RHSA/RHCE.

Thanks to all,

TIMI

avij
Retired Moderator

Re: need help on RHSA exam

Post by avij » 2013/11/04 13:36:15

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have used CentOS for practising for the RH exams. As for the number of virtual machines required, create as many as you need. I have a dozen virtual machines set up, each for testing some specific stuff. Not all of them are running at the same time, though.

[edit: moved this topic to CentOS Social]

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2013/11/04 14:09:48

You're possibly referring to the Michael Jang book. 3 machines are suggested, not required, and he gives fairly simple instructions for setting them up (though, IIRC, it was a tiny bit confusing about whether the first one was physical or virtual). KVM machines are pretty good about not hogging resources so unless the host is a really old machine, you should be fine. Also, again, if we're discussing the Jang book, I don't believe you need all three running at the same time.

To answer the other question, it's extremely common to use either CentOS or ScientificLinux to practice for the exams. The Jang book shows an install of Scientific, if my memory is correct.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

aliaj00

Post by aliaj00 » 2013/11/04 15:01:29

Hi Guys,

thanks for the reply yes i was referring to that book but i don't have it yet.
I also have a few VM, but i thought to ask about it as it seemed that maybe he had some network scenarios in mind, like 2-3 interfaces for each machine etc. Also i have a box with quad core and 8 gigs of ram and it should do the job.

is the RHSA exam asking to troubleshoot systems with move than 2-3 interfaces ?? bonding VIPs etc ????

thanks,

TIMI

ericson007

Post by ericson007 » 2014/01/08 23:53:34

You worry too much. You don't need 3 virtual machines. The idea of jang has is to create virtual machines to access systems the 3 vms are configured to sort of simulate an outsider host, so you can practice an internal client and server.

For the RHCSA you can get away with just 1vm and a extra compter that is not the host running the virtual machines.

I think 3 are more applicable to the RHCE, but in both cases the 3 vms will give you a good idea on how to prepare a host for hosting virtual machines and how to get them talking.

Things like bonding etc are not mentioned in the book or rhel objectives.

The rhcsa aims to prepare you for doing the basics so that the bigger guns don't have to waste time deploying systems reseting user passwords etc. So they can just pick up on the specialty they have like configuring httpd etc.

The rhcsa will have you look more at actual server setups and editing their configs for specific purposes.

bitronictech

Post by bitronictech » 2014/01/18 06:57:42

I was looking at the same exam and I have servers in a datacenter I can use for the VMs. So CentOS is fine for studying is what you all are saying. "Red Hat" proper is not needed correct?
Dao.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2014/01/18 13:13:48

I have not taken the exam, but yes, that is what is being said. You do not need RHEL, you can use CentOS or ScientificLinux to practice all scenarios.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages