First Impressions Count

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: First Impressions Count

Post by pschaff » 2012/02/13 19:58:20

Not sure where you ended up as what you provided is not a valid URL, but the [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=30]Mirrors[/url] page has options that will lead you to the ISO directories. For instance on the European Mirrors (Countries N-Z) page one can find the United Kingdom entries and a mirror such as [url=http://www.mirrorservice.org/]UK Mirror Service - Univ. Kent[/url] which, drilling down a few levels under the [url=http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/]HTTP link[/url], in turn has [url=http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/6.2/isos/i386/CentOS-6.2-i386-bin-DVD1.iso]CentOS-6.2-i386-bin-DVD1.iso[/url].

As this thread contained no CentOS-6 question to start with, and is wandering around in hijack territory, I'm going to follow the earlier suggestion that it should be moved to Social.

bigal

Post by bigal » 2012/02/13 20:03:35

Got it. Thanks pschaff. I saw those there (dvd1.iso, dvd2.iso) but didn't realise that is what they are.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/02/13 20:07:52

You are welcome.

ke913ke

Post by ke913ke » 2012/02/14 18:25:06

Here is my three cents worth since I have three points...

1) I have to agree on the documentation issue. Since I'm not a system admin in any form, some type of straight up "Centos 6.2 Handbook" link would have been nice. The Wiki is admirable, but some of us aren't computer folks for a living and I'm man enough to admit that a little "hand holding" by you experts is downright helpful sometimes.

2) This Centos thing can't be too hard. I only found Centos 6.2 due to a little spontaneous anger. After using Ubuntu and Xubuntu for about eight months, I decided to get on the porch with the big dogs and install Debian on my Acer laptop. I attempted two different "testing" iso installs and one LiveCD install and all three failed. I immediately decided to divorce the .deb side of the family and, since I still wanted the concept of "stable," I thought I'd give Centos a look. Wireless, printing, and fonts were all perfect after five minutes and I realized I had found a new home.

3) This third point is a side note for all you Centos "insiders." I know that enterprise is in the name, but you guys are doing yourself a huge disfavor by allowing the linux media to classify Centos again and again in the news as a distro for servers. I do not have a home server, and I'm new enough at this that I don't even know how or why I would even want a server. I do run Centos 6.2 on a laptop and it seems to be pretty darn good enough for my non-server needs. With a little exploration on search engines on adding Times New Roman for my son's schoolwork, flash for Youtube, and three or four other extras, I am good to go. I think Centos kicks some rear end as an awesome non-server machine. I am even shocked on how many games this thing came with by default and I didn't know that marrying Gnome and KDE programs was even a choice before. You insider types are hurting yourself by not getting the word out that Centos can be great for non-servers with just a slight amount of work. I, for one, plan on doing my part to let some people know... Thanks, folks.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/02/14 19:03:04

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

I don't know who you define as [i]insiders[/i], but most of the core developers don't usually hang out on the fora, and nobody has control of how the media portrays CentOS. I agree (and don't miss an opportunity to say) that CentOS is fine for the desktop. It is my OS choice pretty much across the board, for work (well RHEL comes in there too) and home servers, scientific/engineering workstation, desktop/office/email/Internet, and multimedia.

stonehand

Post by stonehand » 2012/02/17 23:23:56

I would feel this is a 'navigation' issue. I would agree that the structure of the centos site is not the best possible.
However, i have not had much problem to find the information i have needed.
Of course, my needs have been very simple.
And my journalism background and the character of a mule have helped, too.
But there seems to be two problems.
1. The information is not really in a 'structural' order.
2. If it were, there is no guarantee people read it anyway.

(again my 2cents, hoping there would be at least some use of my posts.)

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/02/18 00:27:51

The ministrations of a journalist could benefit the Wiki and other parts of the CentOS domain. [url=http://wiki.centos.org/HowToContribute]Contributions[/url] are welcome, but fair warning - a thick skin is a prerequisite, as is a large helping of patience. :-)

stonehand

Post by stonehand » 2012/02/18 00:36:26

Thank you, Phil.
I don't know about having a thick skin...
Still, i don't feel there would be a need of very large, much less fast changes.
I'd be glad to help, but mostly in the navigational issues i mentioned.
The data is available, and the 'structuality' is of course something that can be thought of in many different ways.
Actually i was 'talking' about a 'perceived structurality': the where i am and to what page should i go to find help with my problem/need,
issue.
:-)

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/02/18 01:00:33

The structure and the content could both use improvement. If you have a question about how/where to find something please ask in a fresh topic.