What to do, what to do.

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
SkyParrillo

What to do, what to do.

Post by SkyParrillo » 2014/02/16 17:19:50

*This seemed like the best location for this topic, if it is not in the correct place please tell me*

I've been learning the CentOS 6 command line, and how to be a system admin, learning how to run things ect. but have started asking myself just why. I later came up with an answer for myself, because I like it, and I find it fun just to mess around, use, and learn CentOS 6. So I kept going and having fun with it, but recently I haven't really had any ideas on what to do with my knowledge, I just can't think of anything that I could do that would make anything more convenient for me or just some way I could use my knowledge. I'm sure there are TONS of people on here who love and use CentOS everyday for some home project they did, or maybe had an idea in the past that they just never really went out and did, that's why I came here to ask, What now? I like having projects to work on at home for fun and when I get bored or have nothing to do, something I can look forward to doing/working on when I get home. Does anyone and I mean anyone have some cool or good idea for a project? Maybe even something that could turn a profit in the future? I've heard so many different things, web hosting, game server hosting, cloud storage ect. but there are reasons why I don't want to do them.

1) Web hosting, yes it's a good idea but what would I host? I have no idea that I want to pursue that requires a website so far and no real reason to make a website and host it, not to mention how easy it is to setup a website once you have the HTML code finished.

2) Game server hosting, I did this a long time ago and just see no reason to waste my money on something that almost no one is going to play on, whether it be a minecraft server or a BF4 server, there isn't much reason to do it.

3) Cloud Storage, while this is not really a bad idea I have no need for cloud storage, and selling space on a cloud would be impossible, having to compete with big company prices, and the fact that they have custom coded clients for this and phone apps, it's just impossible to get into that game.

I hope that there is someone that has some kind of good idea that would be fun to make, use, and who knows maybe it'd make a profit if done right, but for right now I just want something that will be fun to do and setup.

gerald_clark

Re: What to do, what to do.

Post by gerald_clark » 2014/02/16 18:23:27

If someone has an idea on how to make money using CentOS, he will probably be doing it himself.

SkyParrillo

Post by SkyParrillo » 2014/02/16 19:42:37

Some people don't have the time to use their ideas, and I am not even asking for that kind of idea, just something for fun.

vonskippy

Post by vonskippy » 2014/02/16 20:39:45

Compile what you've learned into a nice "Mastering CentOS 6 Command Line" PDF.

Solicit others to read your guide, and contribute other tips and tricks.

Keep the Guide up-to-date with all the feedback.

Learning is the first step in Teaching, never stop doing both.
For the 2.5^15th time :: Better Details = Better Answers

fifer@7technw.com

Post by fifer@7technw.com » 2014/02/17 21:23:35

Two quick suggestions I would offer are:

Phone Server: Install some package of Asterisk and have fun configuring a phone server for home use and maybe more.

Media Server: Setup a server to collect, record, manage, and publish media within your hope. Example applications include SabNZBD, Sickbeard, Couch Patato, Headphones, Plex and others.

Riff

Post by Riff » 2014/03/25 15:57:53

Perhaps I'm a little late to this thread - but better late than...

I'm not really a sysadmin myself. I'm a Linux hobby user if the truth is told but as a self-employed person I do use CentOS at work as well simply for the stability. One thing I'd really love to see is a rock solid desktop that doesn't need to be updated every 6 months a la Fedora /emotefistshake which I just find annoying and awkward.

Trouble is, for a desktop there are some big holes in CentOS. It'd be a great project to get something like a "Desktop Multimedia Respin" going that does everything out of the box as far as possible. I know Korora tried to do this with Fedora but there are some vital missing things there too.

Hope that's a useful suggestion and if you want to talk more give me a shout.

roklebor

Post by roklebor » 2014/03/25 19:15:49

~ 2 years back, a project called "Stella" has been started by some Romanian CentOS fan. He aims to make a desktop-friendly OS based on CentOS: http://li.nux.ro/stella/

At the moment it seems to be still alive as there are images based on the current CentOS 6.5.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2014/03/25 19:25:07

I believe Stella uses a yum repository called nux-dextop (yes, that spelling) and that has many of the multimedia packages that are otherwise tricky to find.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Riff

Post by Riff » 2014/03/27 14:40:59

That looks really good. I will have to try it next time I run a Centos install