Can Kickstart files be copyright?

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
EdHeron

Can Kickstart files be copyright?

Post by EdHeron » 2014/04/11 23:32:33

I suppose comments can be copyright. I suppose snippets of code in %pre and %post sections could be copyright.

Most of a kickstart file is configuration options and package names; both of which would be considered interface and not copyrightable.

It seems silly to copyright a kickstart file in a redistribution of CentOS.

Thoughts?

vonskippy

Re: Can Kickstart files be copyright?

Post by vonskippy » 2014/04/12 00:24:38

Technically, pretty much anything can be copyrighted, it's all up to the courts to determine if you can protect it or not.

That said, from the copyright.gov site:

How do I protect my idea?
Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something. You may express your ideas in writing or drawings and claim copyright in your description, but be aware that copyright will not protect the idea itself as revealed in your written or artistic work.
For the 2.5^15th time :: Better Details = Better Answers

EdHeron

Post by EdHeron » 2014/04/12 01:07:23

Context: Specialized Distribution using CentOS as a base has a copyright notice in their kickstart file asking the file not be used for other purposes. Said distribution is available in disc and flash drive image. The kickstart file hard codes copying files from the disc during install. I adapted the install to work from PXE which included modifying the kickstart to pull the files from a web server. I had seen several inquiries about installing using PXE so I posted my general process on the distribution's installation forum without including any excerpts from the kickstart file. I did not post my changes.

A forum moderator pulled my post and sent me a message saying the file was copyrighted and they didn't want posts talking about copying their kickstart file.

Certainly, they can choose what to delete from their forums. It appears they are suggesting I am encouraging others to violate their copyright by posting such.

I'm of the opinion that my use of their kickstart is entirely within fair use and so would anybody else's use be similarly covered even if the copyright is valid.

To me, it seems their stance is unreasonable. However, I wish to understand the other point of view.

vonskippy

Post by vonskippy » 2014/04/12 02:15:35

Is this a commercial product? If not, what do they have to lose by allowing a modified script that increases how their software can be used?
For the 2.5^15th time :: Better Details = Better Answers

EdHeron

Post by EdHeron » 2014/04/12 03:48:23

The specific product is not commercial but there is a company behind it. They make money on support and secondary products. There is competition in the space but the kickstart file is a relatively small piece of the product.

As far as I can see, there doesn't appear to be a loss incurred by more copies installed. I don't see how the techniques used in the kickstart could be used by a competitor.

Maybe the moderator has been given a directive to protect IP and is overly aggressive.