General questions about Cent OS

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
Matt_Bleachers

Re: General questions about Cent OS

Post by Matt_Bleachers » 2012/03/12 18:24:12

[quote]
vonskippy wrote:
You're looking at two different products made for two vastly different markets.

Unoobtu caters to the "free as in beer" consumer Linux user who on a good day might get their shoe laces tied within 3 or 4 tries.

RHEL/CentOS is made to be racked in a Data Center where it's looked after by real SysAdmins who can at least spell "OS" without googling it.

Your questions have almost zero need in a Enterprise class Linux OS.

CentOS/RHEL is not bleeding edge, it's not Fisher Price, it's not Consumer Friendly, it's just not.

What CentOS/RHEL is, is a rock solid, stable, secure, Enterprise Class OS that lasts for several years instead of several weeks before needing a upgrade.

If you're trying to move from Unoobtu (and who wouldn't is the question that comes to my mind) try PCLinuxOS.

They take the concepts of consumer friendly Linux and wrap it up in a nice custom Distro backed with a friendly (but not fawning) community support forum.

//no, I'm not a PCLinuxOS fanboy, I don't even use Linux on the desktop just on servers, and it's not for the lack of trying, its because I can't stand the crappy wanna-be desktop Linux apps that are out there that claim to be "just as good" as the big boy apps - but in reality aren't even close//[/quote]

I gotta agree the linux apps are terrible