I'm not the brightest bulb...

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
RonB

I'm not the brightest bulb...

Post by RonB » 2009/03/14 05:16:27

...on the Christmas tree.

As I sit here typing, my desktop computer is going through a network install of CentOS 5.2. I was trying to rebuild my Live CentOS thumb drive (I accidentally deleted one of the files) and, in Gparted, I deleted the LVM partition of my main hard disk. I knew I did it (after the fact), but just didn't know how to fix it -- so I hooked up my USB hard drive, saved what I needed to save, rebooted and hoped that Gparted was kidding. It wasn't. So now I'm rebuilding my computer.

If this ever happens again (and I'm getting more senile by the day), is there a way to reclaim the LVM partition from CentOS? And, if not, what's the best alternative? -- if there is any.

Thanks for any advice.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: I'm not the brightest bulb...

Post by pschaff » 2009/03/15 13:21:45

[quote]
RonB wrote:
[/quote]
Perhaps that explains why this post in in Social rather than a more appropriate forum such as General. :-)
[quote]
As I sit here typing, my desktop computer is going through a network install of CentOS 5.2. I was trying to rebuild my Live CentOS thumb drive (I accidentally deleted one of the files) and, in Gparted, I deleted the LVM partition of my main hard disk. I knew I did it (after the fact), but just didn't know how to fix it -- so I hooked up my USB hard drive, saved what I needed to save, rebooted and hoped that Gparted was kidding. It wasn't. So now I'm rebuilding my computer.

If this ever happens again (and I'm getting more senile by the day), is there a way to reclaim the LVM partition from CentOS? And, if not, what's the best alternative? -- if there is any.

Thanks for any advice.[/quote]
You should be able to recreate the partition, before rebooting, and you could probably get away with it. Should just be a matter of creating a new entry that looks exactly like the old one did. As a hedge against future senility or other brain damage, you can create a backup of the partition table - I like sfdisk for this.

RonB

Post by RonB » 2009/03/19 03:28:25

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
[quote]
RonB wrote:
[/quote]
Perhaps that explains why this post in in Social rather than a more appropriate forum such as General. :-)
[quote]

Thanks for any advice.[/quote]
You should be able to recreate the partition, before rebooting, and you could probably get away with it. Should just be a matter of creating a new entry that looks exactly like the old one did. As a hedge against future senility or other brain damage, you can create a backup of the partition table - I like sfdisk for this.[/quote]

Thanks. I'll look into it.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2009/03/19 12:54:53

. . . but an energy saving one, perhaps? :roll: