Question on CentOS version point-to-point changes guidelines

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
CaViCcHi

Question on CentOS version point-to-point changes guidelines

Post by CaViCcHi » 2017/05/25 20:20:14

Hi guys,

I've never done a formal training on CentOS so while maybe this is an obvious question to some it isn't to me :)

I'm obviously ONLY referring to the VAULT... nothing third party, and I'm only talking about rpm NAMES

So I was wondering if there's any kind of trust you can put in between for example 7.1 and 7.9 that :
- the rpm named XXXX will exist throughout (well of course unless security concerns arise I guess)
- the dependencies of XXXX will not change and conflict with one another
- the minimal image will "always" have the same packages (again, unless security concerns arise) (and also, again, just rpm names)
-- so if there's some of this sort happening it gets treated like a bug and gets corrected

or... there's nothing written or promised, so even though it's mostly how they would like to keep it... it happens and whatever stop complaining it's free... :P

thank you :)

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Question on CentOS version point-to-point changes guidelines

Post by TrevorH » 2017/05/25 20:44:32

Not sure what the vault has to do with it.

RH determine the packages that are included in RHEL and they publish release notes which say if anything has been deprecated and/or removed with each point release. Reading the old RNs would probably be a good way to tell the sort of things that may be affected.

The dependencies for a package may change as things get rebuilt with new functionality but it would be a bit daft to have a package depend on two things that are mutually incompatible as you'd never be able to install them.

The contents of the minimal iso published by CentOS does change over time as new things are produced upstream and/or bugs are discovered and fixed in CentOS - so for example, in one point release firewalld was not included in the minimal iso and when it was reported as a bug, it was included in subsequent ones.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

CaViCcHi

Post by CaViCcHi » 2017/05/26 00:13:32

The vault is maintained by CentOS, no? so they're the ones who decide what goes in it and what doesn't... following that I assume those packages are the ones mostly kept sane with dependencies, and if not it's considered a bug... that was my assumption

if you add ElRepo + SourceForge + Google + ThatRepoThere + Epel + whatnot

then you're starting to pull from different places and there's NO one that keeps any sort of sanity at that point (well except for you)

So by limiting my question to the vault I was just really limiting my question to what CentOS/RedHat distributes and maintains in-house, so that's what the vault has to do with it :)

my question could've been broader "hey if I install centos and every repo I ever encounter... will it keep any sort of check point version to point version?" that would've been a silly question though now...

sorry if I wasn't clearer

Edit: Anyway I get it, I was hoping for a "yes there's these guidelines you can count on... " but yeah I assumed that, "no, get the doc and read it" is really the only way to be sure :) thanks Trev

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/05/26 00:24:31

Vault is where old releases go when they die. Current versions are on the mirrors but when a new point release comes out, the old content from the mirrors is copied to vault and replaced on the mirrors with the more recent point release. So at the moment, on vault we have 7.0, 7.1 and 7.2 while 7.3 is on the active mirrors and symlinked to /7/. When 7.4 comes out, 7.3 will go to vault and be removed from the mirrors.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

CaViCcHi

Post by CaViCcHi » 2017/05/26 00:53:08

Ha... that is actually news!

I had wondered several times why the latest stable was never available on the vault in binary (like now, 7.3 is there, but just for you to recompile)... but I never really made out much of it because I mostly work off sources anyway... or specific version of specific package