CentOS xen vm v2v to vmware boot issue

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
kevinqoo555

CentOS xen vm v2v to vmware boot issue

Post by kevinqoo555 » 2018/11/06 15:08:52

Hi , I have a physical Server installed CentOS 5.1 32bit, and It run xen tools and have a same CentOS 5.1 VM on it.

I try to v2v that VM to esxi by using converter , It work, but when i power the vm on , it show blow

error.PNG

I google for help , it seems need to reinstall the normal kernel from same version centos live cd, but when i boot the vm from live cd , it show blow

error2.PNG

how can I reinstall the kernel?

or anyone have other method to fix that?

thanks
Attachments
error2.PNG
error2.PNG (8.74 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
error.PNG
error.PNG (7.09 KiB) Viewed 1773 times

stevemowbray

Re: CentOS xen vm v2v to vmware boot issue

Post by stevemowbray » 2018/11/06 16:30:08

CentOS 5 is end of life and should not be used.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS xen vm v2v to vmware boot issue

Post by TrevorH » 2018/11/06 16:42:55

Luckily I can see from your kernel version that you don't really mean CentOS 5.1 as that would be just astonishingly irresponsible. That is 5.11 (kernel 2.6.18-400) which is still bad but at least it's not totally insane! Hmm, or maybe that's the kernel from the DVD you tried to install. And if it is really 5.1 then are you aware that that came out in late 2007 so it's now missing 11 years of really nasty security related patches and is most likely not even your system any more - it's so insecure that any passing hacker can probably break into it without much effort at all.

I would guess that you have attempted to boot a 64 bit DVD on 32 bit only hardware which would be the easiest explanation for the "Error 13: Invalid or unssupported executable format" error message.

Bottom line, you should really be replacing that system with a new install of a supported release. Currently the best bet for that would be to migrate to CentOS 7 as CentOS 6 is already on its way out and only has about 2 years of security-only-updates left before it goes EOL in 2020.

You should however be able to install the non-xen kernel by booting your existing system and pointing your yum repos to vault.centos.org and then installing kernel not kernel-xen.

The last version of CentOS 5 was 5.11 and it was released in late 2014. All of CentOS 5 went EOL in March 2017 and has received zero updates since then. That means it suffers from all of the various intel processor side channel vulnerabilities that can be exploited to retrieve information on your system that should be hidden and secure - like passwords, certificates, private keys etc etc.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke