CentOS is one of our 'official' distros at BEL Project

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
bigbearomaha
Location: I, Big Bear, am in Omaha, NE. BEL Project is global

Re: CentOS is one of our 'official' distros at BEL Project

Post by bigbearomaha » 2009/06/28 13:02:20

OR, it could be what it is. an effort to communicate with people and encourage discussion.

Because we as a Project have chosen to use CentOS as one of our 'officially supported' distros, we feel an obligation to let each of those selected distro communities know what we are doing. Keep things above the table, so to speak.

So, if we try to keep our relevant information to this one thread, instead of all over the forum, we believe we are posting responsibly.

We want both the target markets users we work with and the Linux distros we support to feel confident that this project is working to the best use of OpenSource software and projected image of Linux and not behaving in a detrimental way.

Have Fun.

Big Bear

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2009/06/28 15:19:15

Your subsequent posts are clear attempts a viral marketing (i.e., create buzz) on somebody else's dime.

Fortunately for you, I am not a moderator or this thread would already be closed.

bump

bump

bump

bigbearomaha

Post by bigbearomaha » 2009/06/28 16:28:05

well, it's too bad you feel that way, as each post presents unique information directly related to this threads topic.

but, to each their own.

Big Bear

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2009/06/29 15:13:19

[quote]
WhatsHisName wrote:
Your subsequent posts are clear attempts a viral marketing (i.e., create buzz) on somebody else's dime.

Fortunately for you, I am not a moderator or this thread would already be closed.

bump

bump

bump[/quote]

I have been following [b]bigbearomaha[/b]'s posts, and agree that they are promoting his project, but given that it is an open source effort, and that they are essentially promoting CentOS along with other distros, in my mind the spam line has not been crossed. The posts are not frequent nor has there been the cross-posting characteristic of spammers. Obviously opinions differ and yours is definitely respected.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2009/06/29 16:58:50

The moderator consensus is that, while this thread is not in our humble opinions spam, it better fits in CentOS Social.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2009/06/29 19:35:56

Perhaps [i]Big bear[/i] can get [i]Little bear[/i] to fill in the location field of their profile -- then we will get to see something in the [i]From[/i] box of all ursine posts . . . :-D

bigbearomaha

Post by bigbearomaha » 2009/06/29 20:49:42

I and the rest of the BEL Project team appreciate the view of the mod team here that we are only trying to provide a useful service.

Thank you also for moving this thread to a place that might be a better fit for everyone concerned.

Most of the pertinent information is now posted in this thread regarding BEL Project, so unless relative information comes up ( domain changes, 'special info', etc... ) this particular thread should not see a whole lot more activity.

I am certainly hoping to engage other CentOS users in discussion in other areas regarding using CentOS in markets such as schools, small businesses and non-profit groups.

Big Bear