CentOS Dual Layer ISOs

Comments, suggestions, compliments, etc
stuartbh

CentOS Dual Layer ISOs

Post by stuartbh » 2013/12/20 05:49:18

CentOS Users:

Whilst I do find CentOS quite useful and appreciate all the efforts and resources put forth by everyone to effectuate such a wonderful product, I am curious if there is any possibility that the future will have a dual layer ISO image of CentOS available?

I would also be interested to know if the future holds a chance of S390X variant ISOs as well?

It would be nice to download a single ISO and be able to put it on a USB stick and do a full installation.

Thanks,

Stuart

avij
Retired Moderator

Re: CentOS Dual Layer ISOs

Post by avij » 2013/12/20 07:19:01

As for CentOS 6, you can already do a full install of CentOS using only the first DVD. The second DVD contains only supplementary RPMs, which can be installed afterwards if needed. The installer does not ask for the second DVD during installation, even if you select every single package that you can find from the installer's menu.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh » 2013/12/20 21:52:43

avij wrote:As for CentOS 6, you can already do a full install of CentOS using only the first DVD. The second DVD contains only supplementary RPMs, which can be installed afterwards if needed. The installer does not ask for the second DVD during installation, even if you select every single package that you can find from the installer's menu.
It is certainly worthy of notation that your answer stands poignantly practicable and utilitarian in no uncertain terms, and as well, a fact I am willing to admit I stood absent knowing until reading your response. However, the foregoing notwithstanding, it does seem irritatingly curious why with so few people making use of CD format ISOs these days that format stands persistently available, yet, more modern format ISOs seem to be conspicuously absent from use by the creators of the distribution. Moreover, with some Blu-Ray ISO formats offering sizes in excess of 100GB it does seem rather curious that we have no options of a dual layer DVD for just the binary disks 1 and 2, or a Blu-Ray ISO format with all the binaries and source code thereupon.

Yet, no suggestion (or complaint depending on how it is received) should go without the accompanying thank yous to all the folks that work so hard to make CentOS possible and what it is today.

Thanks,

Stuart

vonskippy

Post by vonskippy » 2013/12/20 22:56:07

Larger and larger disk formats require more storage and more bandwidth for the numerous mirrors that host the CentOS files, as well as the users that download those iso's.

Few (if any) want that.

I want a lean and mean install, I can always add whatever I want whenever I want after the install.

If you're trying to save YOUR bandwidth, then setup a local repo, download the files once and then do as many installs as you need without using outside bandwidth.
For the 2.5^15th time :: Better Details = Better Answers

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh » 2013/12/23 05:11:01

vonskippy wrote:Larger and larger disk formats require more storage and more bandwidth for the numerous mirrors that host the CentOS files, as well as the users that download those iso's.

Few (if any) want that.

I want a lean and mean install, I can always add whatever I want whenever I want after the install.

If you're trying to save YOUR bandwidth, then setup a local repo, download the files once and then do as many installs as you need without using outside bandwidth.
Vonskippy,

Your argument is rather specious on several levels:

1) "Larger and larger disk formats require more storage and more bandwidth"...actually and arguably, not...first, if the DVD1 and DVD2 were supplanted by a DVD-DL (an 8GB iso), then such an image would take up less not more storage and less or equal bandwidth to download as downloading DVD1 and DVD2.

Now, were I to suggest that all ISO variants were to be removed with only the availability of a BLU-RAY DL ISO, then, you arguments might have merit, but in the instant case, that is by now means what I suggested, thus, your point seems rather moot now, eh?

2) I never suggested that the Net Install be discontinued, thus your manner of installation would survive notwithstanding the supplanting of DVD1 and DVD2 with a DL-DVD (if that were the direction the community were to go), thus, this line of argument is moot as well.

3) Downloading all the files once for a local REPO is no more or less bandwidth saving that to have done so in the format of a DL DVD, again, no argument here either;

4a) If your concern for bandwidth conservation is related to server operators, then it is indeed moot since I have already downloaded DVD1 and DVD2, thus, people already content to do that will not save or cost anyone any bandwith having a Dual Layer DVD which had the contents of DVD1 and DVD2 thereupon.

4b) If your concern for bandwidth conservation is related to the person downloading, then, download what you want, if it is the Net Install so be it, if it is every RPM source
and binary, then so be it, whatever you wish, but I do not give a rat's rectum about bandwidth conservation from my point of view, as my connection is both high speed and unlimited. However, even if your concern were for your own personal bandwidth conservation (or other peoples for that matter), the combining of DVD1 and DVD2 into a single Dual Layer DVD has no impact on you, since ostensibly you would never have choosen that method of download and it was never suggested to discontinue the method of download you are asserting you use now.

Being the intelligent individual that I presume you are, surely I would imagine you can now see the merits to what I suggest and how low-impact doing such a thing would indeed be. However, I appreciate everyone's input, even if it is feeble in nature.

Thanks!

Stuart

vonskippy

Post by vonskippy » 2013/12/23 05:56:21

stuartbh wrote:surely I would imagine you can now see the merits to what I suggest and how low-impact doing such a thing would indeed be
Oh completely, I can't imagine what I was thinking when I said that a Dual Layer or Blu-ray ISO would be a complete waste of space and xfer. Just because virtually no one downloads the second dvd, doesn't mean they wouldn't download the bloated practically useless xtra-large image. Good point, can't wait to see the dev's get right on that.
For the 2.5^15th time :: Better Details = Better Answers