Thank you for CentOS 7 !!

Comments, suggestions, compliments, etc
pritesh

Thank you for CentOS 7 !!

Post by pritesh » 2014/09/11 14:55:11

Hi,

A big "Thank You" to all the developers/testers/admins who put their efforts in CentOS 7. After doing a few tweaks, CentOS 7 rocks on my laptop. I know most of you would have raised eyebrows saying "What?? Get off, this is a Server OS.". Indeed it is, but it's amazing on a laptop too.

I happen to crash my primary OS (Windows 7) after plugging in a virus infected USB Stick (my mistake). Thankfully I had my main data backed up a day ago, so it was all good. I'm between jobs right now and had to e-mail some important documents after updating them (5 Word Docs, 3 Excel Docs and a Powerpoint Doc to be precise) to my future employer, had to pay some bills online and other mundane "chores". I had a CentOS 7 DVD nearby. So I installed it, tweaked it a bit and used it for all the stuff mentioned above. There was absolutely no problem using CentOS 7 for that. Most importantly, I finished installing and tweaking the OS in half the time it would have taken me to install Windows 7, apply the patches/drivers, install the office suite and then go about my work.

So how was it? No weird looking browsers, no messy interfaces while doing the on line payments, no issues while editing the documents and saving them back in the doc/xls/ppt format. None whatsoever. I called back those guys just to check if the documents were fine and they confirmed.

I have been a linux user from a while and have used other distros, but apart from Debian and CentOS, other distros were either too bleeding edge or way too flaky or both.

I never thought I'd be able to live without Windows on my personal laptop. Guess it's my time to move to Linux.

Thanks once again guys. You all rock.

jeanlucboeuf

Re: Thank you for CentOS 7 !!

Post by jeanlucboeuf » 2014/09/16 11:48:05

The same with you :)