The bliss of CentOS 7

Comments, suggestions, compliments, etc
AliceWonder

The bliss of CentOS 7

Post by AliceWonder » 2014/09/21 19:36:39

I run CentOS 5 and 6 on my servers, I was running CentOS 6 at home on my desktop and laptop until both failed within a month. When I built a new desktop and bought a new (er, used) laptop I went Fedora 18 on them as that was new, and I went through numerous pains.

Fedora 18 finally got to be rather stable, and then went End of Life - I installed Fedora 20 on my desktop and once again started to experience numerous issues again, such as Midori frequently crashing. I like Midori, it's a simple interface and it works well - well it finally did in Fedora 18 when it went EOL, but it was back to frequent crashing.

So despite being EOL, I kept Fedora 18 on my laptop. No services open, no flash plugin, I did use Oracle Java but I keep that up to date (there's a site I have to use that doesn't work with IcedTea)

While out of town, ended up with a situation where I really needed local access to CentOS 7 - well okay I really needed access to php 5.6.0. First started building it and using it in Fedora 18 but then I saw the absurdity, bought an SSD to replace the internal drive (and an external case for the old internal drive) and installed CentOS 7.

EPEL doesn't have Midori, so I installed from the Fedora 20 src.rpm - and it is stable. It is actually effin stable. Same version of Midori that FC20 has but now, the crashing is extremely rare. It's at least as stable as the Midori in Fedora 18 had become when it went end of life.

It's the libraries it is built against. The libraries in CentOS 7 are just superior and less buggy, and always will be.

Fedora 20 is going bye bye on my desktop at home as soon as I get there.

My flirtation experiment back into the Fedora world is over, I'm back to what works and works well.

Not just on the server, but on the desktop too.

pritesh

Re: The bliss of CentOS 7

Post by pritesh » 2014/09/25 17:59:20

Hi AliceWonder,

Fellow CentOS 7 user here and pretty happy one at that :)

It really feels like a rock solid OS and works well.

I tried Nux Dextop Repo (Yup, that's how it's spelt) and ELRepo and it's been darn good.

I daresay that it looks and feels way better than my "Other" OS which has been giving me one too many blue screens off late.

Glad to see another CentOS 7 desktop/laptop user here. :)

Vladi

Post by Vladi » 2014/10/30 08:28:01

AliceWonder!

I had the same problem. I used Fedora for years, from 5. release. Always buggy, slowly get stable. New features, fun etc.
But later it becomed spade-work. :(

So I planned to change to centos 7. It have frash packages, and stable and long term as well.

I am wondering, how long can I use it.

Unfortunately there are disadvantages. The missing packages. Maybe it should be stronger in this part.

networklackey

Post by networklackey » 2014/12/18 18:08:20

Yeah, I've gotta' say I just started working on it and this interface is just beautiful. The minimalist, neutral look and feel is exactly what I like to set my environment to and it's always been a lot of work. This interface looks like it was made for me.

ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual » 2015/01/05 13:02:05

Myself also converted from Ubuntu over to CentOS 7 on my system running 24/7 with three nV-GPU and folding@home. :)
The former OS distribution after upgrade and even reinstall just didn't started properly anymore. :o

Missing on for CentOS and my needs is latest CUDA and BOINC :cry:

Vladi

Post by Vladi » 2015/01/05 19:55:33

ChristianVirtual:

You choos right. :D I think, both can be solved, please open a tread for it. (cuda + boinc)

schadfield

Post by schadfield » 2015/01/20 13:57:41

I am happily running CentOS 7 on my home laptop and work desktop. Both systems are fast, rock solid and, after a bit of tweaking, look great too. The most enjoyable experience I have had with Linux - and I started with Slackware in 1994.

I have been able to fill missing application gaps by compiling Fedora 19/20 SRPMs using rpmbuild.

Redhat and CentOS: thanks and keep up the great work!