POLL : CentOS forum policy, Complaints/Suggestions ...

Comments, suggestions, compliments, etc
CAJI

POLL : CentOS forum policy, Complaints/Suggestions ...

Post by CAJI » 2015/06/22 12:38:56

I just joined this forum today thinking I would be able to do better searches as a registered member of the forum ... I tried typing in "Running as root" for my search query so I could learn exactly why I should not run (whatever) commands as root. Instead of search results, all I got was a message saying that all three words (running, as, and root) were so common as to not deserve a search of the forum board. I can see the word "as" 'as' :roll: being a simple common grammar word, so I re-formed my search query to simply "running root". Same result (no results!) :roll: . I also noticed that search queries maximum length is 20 characters ... it can be very difficult to form a meaningful search in under 20 characters length. I read in general forum boards here about what to do with 'complaints about forum administration policy' etc. and was informed to avoid posting complaints to the forum boards, but to contact forum moderators or administrators privately instead. I tried clicking on 'toracat' and other forum moderators/administrators' nicknames and looking for a Member List but apparently I don't have permissions as a lowly basic forum member to be able to do that. I am now left to post here in the User Comments section to find out how or where to contact forum administrators to request that this be changed or at least for reasons why the forum is set up this way.

Any chance the search query length and 'common words' list be expanded or changed to make it easier to find forum posts directly using the forums' search engine? Yes, I could go back and will have to go back to using Startpage or Google etc. in order to search these forums of course but am wondering about this limiting policy here on the forums.

I realize that board admins and moderators donate their time and efforts here (many thanks!!! :) ) and probably shut off direct private contact via private message or e-mail, ... but if that is the case, how about changing the basic FAQs and general forum board messages to reflect that, and to tell entry-level forum board members that they can go to a particular forum board (is that this User Comments board?), or to a newly-created forum board to air complaints, make suggestions or offer help? I feel that this would really reflect and enhance the whole idea of Community enterprise for users and potential users of the Community enterprise Operating System (CentOS) ... any feedback on this?