Long time Unix admin see sys5init missing in 7

Comments, suggestions, compliments, etc
rmuelleresu3

Long time Unix admin see sys5init missing in 7

Post by rmuelleresu3 » 2016/12/21 17:12:58

I have been Unix/Linux Admin for going on 25 years. We have many installs of CentOS 6.5 to 6.8..

I just brought up a 7 server to begin testing with and find myself nearly back at Square One. NOTHING is the same.

example:

on 6.x i was able to do
chkconfig --level 345 <servicename> on
then
service <servicename> start

in CentOS 7.
Apparently some fluff brain or group of fluff in their infinite wisdom decided to mess with us old timers.
it is not only the init system but a lot of commands that have been standards for a very long time.

Here is my take.
when deploying a new OS don't be the Microslop WINDOWS 8 model. I would recommend that future builds keep the tried and true sysvinit or allow or a choice upon installation to use sysvinit OR systemd, not force feed systemd. It leave a sh*tty taste in the mouth.

We migrated from Fedora when they went down that rabbit hole with systemd. Now It appears when EOL is reached on 6.8, either I retire and let the youngsters deal :-) or find a distro that sticks with common standards that have existed for decades.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Long time Unix admin see sys5init missing in 7

Post by TrevorH » 2016/12/21 17:36:50

Unfortunately almost everyone and every distro has now switched to systemd so your choices are narrow and getting narrower. Debian Jessie uses systemd, so do the latest ubuntu versions, arch does too. Not sure what else is left: slackware? and Devuan which is a Debian fork sans systemd but they're only in beta at the present time I think.

I'm not a fan of systemd but the changes are not that great once you get used to them. The service and chkconfig commands still exist but translate to their systemctl equivalents. I found that just adding an alias sc='/bin/systemctl' made life much more bearable since I was consistently unable to type s y t e m c t l without making at least one typo.

The other major changes are NetworkManager being the default and firewalld. I find that yum remove NetworkManager\* firewall\* solves those nicely. The network service still exists and still does the same as it used to. You can install iptables-services and ipset-service and replace firewalld with those.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2016/12/30 12:44:25

rmuelleresu3 wrote:I have been Unix/Linux Admin for going on 25 years. We have many installs of CentOS 6.5 to 6.8..

I just brought up a 7 server to begin testing with and find myself nearly back at Square One. NOTHING is the same.
Here is my take.
when deploying a new OS don't be the Microslop WINDOWS 8 model. I would recommend that future builds keep the tried and true sysvinit or allow or a choice upon installation to use sysvinit OR systemd, not force feed systemd. It leave a sh*tty taste in the mouth.

We migrated from Fedora when they went down that rabbit hole with systemd. Now It appears when EOL is reached on 6.8, either I retire and let the youngsters deal :-) or find a distro that sticks with common standards that have existed for decades.
AMEN to that. After being FORCED to adapt to KDE 4.x, which was a HORRIBLE roll-out, they come right back with KDE 5.x, which is even WORSE, after finally making KDE 4.x actually usable, and user friendly. KDE seems to have learned NOTHING from the disaster that was KDE 4.x. I stopped using Fedora when they started force feeding us KDE 5.x and moved to CentOS because it is more stable. I don't mind being on the "bleeding edge" part of the time, but not all of the time. If there is a justifiable reason for doing something, fine, but most of the changes are silly. Ex. Everyone is now use to using yum, so what does RH do?!? They change it to dnf... which is EXACTLY the same as yum, so why change it?!?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2016/12/30 12:47:07

Everyone is now use to using yum, so what does RH do?!? They change it to dnf... which is EXACTLY the same as yum, so why change it?!?
Well that's because yum is tied to python 2.x and needed a rewrite for python3.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

MartinR

Post by MartinR » 2017/01/03 17:20:28

Why not just bump up the yum version then? Not getting at you Trevor, you're the messenger not the author. :)