Suggestions on forum improvements

Comments, suggestions, compliments, etc
thenga

Re: Suggestions on forum improvements

Post by thenga » 2008/10/29 03:06:16

Folks,

good news.... [url=http://community.mybboard.net/thread-38943.html]Mybb is now GPL v3 effective immediately[/url]....I think Mybb will be a very good candidate now...Read more here...

Well... it happened couple of weeks ago...:)

wulfpack74

Post by wulfpack74 » 2008/11/21 19:58:13

When are you not signed in and you want to reply to a thread you have to click on LOGIN and then find your way back to that thread. Would be nice to be able to click REPLY on a thread and brings up a login box if you are not already logged in, then once you log in it takes you to the reply box.

j

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Post by NedSlider » 2008/11/21 21:21:00

[quote]
wulfpack74 wrote:
When are you not signed in and you want to reply to a thread you have to click on LOGIN and then find your way back to that thread. Would be nice to be able to click REPLY on a thread and brings up a login box if you are not already logged in, then once you log in it takes you to the reply box.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's a major annoyance for sure.

I believe all of the solutions that we are looking at have the ability to keep you permanently logged in via a cookie (if that's what you choose). The current forum software [i]should[/i] work that way too (the option is there in your settings), but for some reason it doesn't and times out after 24 hours forcing you to keep re-logging in.

vonskippy

Post by vonskippy » 2008/12/22 22:06:14

Any progress on this? I read thru the mailing list and don't see any progress (and checking several times to see if I was reading the Debian Developers mailing list by mistake) .

Lots of relatively pointless discussions on Drupal and Joomla - which are CMS engines NOT forum apps, lots of back and forth over other topics, but very little about actually choosing a new forum app.

This should NOT be rocket science. The current forum rates about a 3 (out of 10). It could only get a lower rating if it didn't function at all.

ANY other forum App would be better then the current one.

PHPBB seems to be the "gold" standard - it scales - it's active - it's mature - it has a decent code base - it integrates with other web apps.

I'm not sure how the obsession (for some) with a true "portal" came about. For most users - having separate apps is NO BIG DEAL. Need a blog - pick a blog, need a forum - pick a forum, etc, etc. With a few links, people will be able to find their way around.

Pick one - migrate to it - be happy.

//and lets shoot for something a little more "middle age eye friendly" then menus that have white text on light gray backgrounds - PLEASE!

//and NO fixed widths - geesh, this forum reminds me of Netscape in the 90's

RobTheAdmin

Post by RobTheAdmin » 2009/02/26 05:04:11

Why not implement a new forum and disable posting in this one? But leave this one available for viewing only. Set up the search engine to search both the new forum and old one. Badabing, problem solved. It's time. CentOS really does need a new forum.

wulfpack74

Post by wulfpack74 » 2009/04/09 14:28:42

One other thing I thought of. How about a link for "new posts" or "posts with 0 replies" ? Ive seen this on other boards and its very handy.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2009/04/09 16:46:39

[quote]"new posts" or "posts with 0 replies" [/quote]
This forum has the options [i]View unread topics[/i] and [i]View unreplied topics[/i]. (Have I remembered the wording correctly?) :roll:

csfweb

Post by csfweb » 2009/12/12 11:52:21

I agree wholeheartedly with wolfpak on this issue. I have just tried to search for new posts/topics but was unsuccessful.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2009/12/12 12:41:28

[quote]
AlanBartlett wrote:
This forum has the options [i]View unread topics[/i] and [i]View unreplied topics[/i]. (Have I remembered the wording correctly?) :roll:[/quote]
Precisely correct, as usual, sir. :-D

What may be a [i]bit[/i] tricky for less experienced users is that those options appear [b]either[/b] under [i]Forum options[/i] on the top-level page withing an individual forum (such as [b]User Comments[/b]) or under [i]Mail Options[/i] at the top level of the forum. They are not available at the Topic/Post level.

Similarly, the [i]Search[/i] options may be a bit tricky with different functions for the Search on the top bar of every www.centos.org page, the [i]Search Forum[/i] withing an individual forum, and [i]Text[/i] or [i]Title[/i] searches in the Wiki.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2009/12/12 14:57:17

[quote]
Precisely correct, as usual, sir. :-D
[/quote]
Why thank you, my good sir (he says whilst bowing, with a flourish, in a very 18th Century style).

However (there's always a [i]however[/i] or [i]but[/i], isn't there :roll: ) did you notice the date of my post to which you allude?

(And, [i]cough[/i], someone hasn't got their formatting tags quite right. :-P )