[SOLVED] USB: The installer has tried to mount image #1, but cannot find it on the hard drive.

General support questions
willroberts

[SOLVED] USB: The installer has tried to mount image #1, but cannot find it on the hard drive.

Post by willroberts » 2011/07/20 22:55:16

[b]The Problem:[/b]

I am installing CentOS 6 on my server, which has no optical drives. I used UNetBootIn to create a USB installation disk from the CentOS 6 DVD (DVD1). As soon as I finish telling GRUB where to put the bootloader, the installation shows an error titled "Missing ISO 9660 Image". The message is:

[code]The installer has tried to mount image #1, but cannot find it on the hard drive.
Please copy this image to the drive and click Retry.
Click Exit to abort the installation.[/code]

So I can't proceed any further in the GUI. This happens when creating the image from multiple sources, not just UNetBootIn.

[b]The Solution[/b]

tty2 is an active root shell - press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to access it. Use this shell to mount another filesystem (flash drive) containing the CentOS DVD ISO.

[code]mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/foldername[/code]

The code above assumes your drive is registered as /dev/sdc1. This may not be the case. Use `fdisk -l` to identify your drive and its partitions. Assuming you are using SATA drives, search for 'sd' in your running processes to find the anaconda info:

[code]ps -ef | grep sd[/code]

You will see a line similar to this one:

[code]/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/anaconda --stage2 hd:/dev/sda1://images/install.img --graphical --selinux --lang en_US_UTF-8 --keymap us [b][u]--repo hd:/dev/sda1:/[/u][/b][/code]

This is where the problem is. The system is looking in /dev/sda1 (or /mnt/isodir when mounted) for any ISO file containing the CentOS installation data. Copy your CentOS ISO to this directory (using the folder name mounted previously):

[code]cp /mnt/foldername/centos.iso /mnt/isodir/centos.iso[/code]

Then go back to the GUI (Ctrl-Alt-F6), hit Retry, and finish the installation!

willroberts

Re: C6 USB Install: The installer has tried to mount image #1, but cannot find it on the hard drive.

Post by willroberts » 2011/07/20 23:39:15

Problem solved!

I copied the CentOS 6 DVD ISO to /mnt/isodir/centos.iso, and I am going along just fine in my installation.

Thank you to the CentOS forums for giving me a place to keep all of these notes and force myself to think harder! I hope this helps someone in the future!

pschaff
Retired Moderator

[SOLVED] USB: The installer has tried to mount image #1, but

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/21 00:31:42

Thanks for reporting back. Glad this thread is [SOLVED] for posterity.

For the sake of future forum searchers, please see [url=http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey]How to Set Up a USB Key to Install CentOS[/url] and particularly the second line under Alternatives. Any comments that might help posterity avoid pitfalls?

vvvvv

Re: [SOLVED] C6 USB Install: The installer has tried to mount image #1...

Post by vvvvv » 2011/07/23 18:53:41

Problem not solved for me.

I encountered the same issue. I've a 1GB usb stick which I loaded using UNetbootin with netinstall iso and copied the iso to it. I found this thread and tried the solution. But

ps -ef | grep sd
returns:
... --repo hd:/dev/sdb1:/

But when I open /mnt/isodir I can see the CentOS-6.0-x86_64-netinstall.iso cause isodir is correctly mounted the /dev/sdb1 which is my usb stick. It doesn't matter if I rename the iso to centos.iso anaconda keeps repeating the error.

Maybe I missed something but I'm really stuck with that.

Thx for any help.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] C6 USB Install: The installer has tried to mount image #1...

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/24 15:15:09

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

After reading the above you should realize why you should not hijack threads as you have done. Please start a new Topic for your issue to get the attention you need, providing a link to this one if required for context; however, a 1GB stick is not large enough for any of the DVD ISO installation images. The netinstall ISO does not contain the installation tree.