Boot messages icon pre-login

General support questions
taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2011/07/22 18:13:01

I have, I think, finished beating CentOS vs. ATI video drivers vs. my two monitors into submission. I have no idea exactly how I did it (other than to take my Ubuntu nVidia xorg.conf file (after I had replaced the nVidia card with an ATI card, uninstalled the nVidia drivers, installed the ATI drivers, kicked the PC across the room and rebooted it 4 1/2 times) and used that file to replace the one I have been trying to build on CentOS with the ATI Catalyst tool. Anyhow the two monitors are functioning as desired, I have saved the xorg.conf file in 37 separate places and I am preparing to print it on acid free paper and store it in my safety deposit box at the bank - just in case :-D

But I digress. During this xorg configing I crashed the "fast user switcher" applet (I think that is what it was called). I don't use it, don't want it and told the error dialog to shove it. It does not appear and neither does the error. Great!

However, I also noticed that when I boot the PC I get a yellow icon with an exclamation point on the lower panel at the login screen. If I click on the icon it presents me with the messages from the latest boot. ABSOLUTELY COOL!!! And my question is... Where did this icon come from? and how do I get it back if I want to see it?

I am receiving two errors. "The PC cannot get an IP address for eth0 check the cable" Yes, I know the cable is not plugged into this NIC. I also get the message about not enough memory for kdump which is a known issue about which I do not care. The point being, I have been getting these two errors all along. The icon in question did not appear until after the fast user switcher crash.

TIA,

Ken

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/22 19:18:49

I know the icon but all I can tell you from observation is that it is not always present, but sometimes appears, apparently only when it has something it thinks you need to know. -)

taylorkh

Re: Boot messages icon pre-login

Post by taylorkh » 2011/07/22 19:40:05

I guess I will just have to crash something every so often. Well, I am good at that!

Ken