repurposing a local console

General support questions
fma1394

repurposing a local console

Post by fma1394 » 2011/08/01 13:50:52

I've been using linux for a few years (debian, fedora, ubuntu, and centos), and I've got an odd question which I don't know how to phrase it good enough for google to return any results for what I'm looking for.

You know how I can use ctrl+alt+F#(1-6) to switch between different usable terminals?

Well, how can I repurpose those TTYs to show output from a program (like ettercap or jnettop) without logging in and doing that? Obviously, I know this can be done, as it is done when running anaconda to install any RH based distro on a few of the terminals showing different things of what's going on in the background.

Ideally, what I want to do is do a shell script in rc3.d to startup automatically and display output to TTY2 and TTY3

Thank you.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: repurposing a local console

Post by pschaff » 2011/08/01 18:34:25

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

The initscripts system has changed to upstart for CentOS-6 so I don't think you can just drop a script in the directory. See [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=32150&forum=55]this thread[/url] for background.

As far as writing to a tty, just redirect the output "command > /dev/tty8". You may want to use /dev/tty8 and /dev/tty9 as lower ones are used by getty.