[SOLVED] Problem instaling / partitioning layout

General support questions
ClaudioxPT

Post by ClaudioxPT » 2011/08/07 02:09:38

I have a little old but funcional tower that is stil capable to do most of the common things and i want to use it as a home server to test while im learning PHP.
The hardware is:
Asus M2N MX SE
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ dual core 2.1Ghz@2.6Ghz
2Gb of RAM
Hitachi Deskstar 250GB 7200Rpm
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400Rpm
AMD Radeon 2400 or Nvidia Gt9600 (Currently is the 2400 but if needed i may change to the 9600 or to onboard)

I've tried already many linux distros here without problem, mainly mint 10 and openSUSE 11.4 with no problem at all, but this time when i tried to give the final destiny to this outdated(but not so old) hardware it simply refuses with some problem.

About a month and half ago i tried to install 5.6 with success but when it boots for the first time it simply stops in the same place for hours without signal.
Now im trying again with 6.0 and the installer doesn't even reach the install part.

Resuming: I got the DVD1 on a DVD RW+ successfully burned.
-When i insert the dvd and boot from the dvd drive it shows the menu with the options.
-Asks for media verification and i've done the verification without problems.
-Starts Anaconda and shows the language selection, english with PT-PT keyboard layout.
-Password, says that is a reversed dictionary word. Absolutely false, it is just an abstract word, continue anyway.
And here is the problematic part, when shows the menu of how do i want to do the partition scheme anything that i select just finishes with a error.
If i select custom layout, the error just appears after i hit the ok on the first partition creation.
I cannot paste the error here because is huge and i don't know how to save it on a unpartitioned disk.

What can i do? I just want a server working and i want to give a try to CentOS due to his good reputation, if there is no way to do it what os should i try for a server? Debian? OpenSUSE?

Regards

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/08/07 15:58:16

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Reading [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=47]FAQ & Readme First[/url] is recommended for new users.

It is very difficult to guess what might be the problem without more information. I'd suggest trying the LiveCD or LiveDVD to see if it boots, and to help diagnose the issues you are having.

If the Live media boots, please [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54]provide more information about your system[/url] by running "./getinfo.sh driver" and showing us the output file.

ClaudioxPT

Re: Problem instaling / partitioning layout

Post by ClaudioxPT » 2011/08/07 19:57:54

Someway when i created partitions on the disk with a 5.6 installation when i tried to install 6.0 it created the partition layout without problems.
The problem should be the installation in a unformatted disk.

Now there should be a problem with the network card and DHCP, and with the xWindow system.
They don't start automatically when should. Now im installing as a desktop and then i'll clean the unnecessary packets to install the apache/database.
After i complete it i say something here.

Regards

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Problem instaling / partitioning layout

Post by pschaff » 2011/08/09 15:16:19

Thanks for reporting back. Marking this thread [SOLVED] for posterity.

Please start a new Topic with an appropriate Subject for additional questions.