[RESOLVED] CentOS 6.1 beta testing program?

General support questions
taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2011/08/07 14:13:56

Please pardon me if this is a basic question which I should have found the answer to without asking here...

Will a beta version of 6.1 be made available for testing? If so, how do I get hooked up with it? I would like to be able to contribute to CentOS by such testing as I can perform.

TIA,

Ken

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Post by NedSlider » 2011/08/08 05:47:21

No, CentOS does not release beta software for testing. If you have Red Hat entitlements, you can download and test betas of the upstream RHEL releases and feedback bug reports to them which in turn benefit CentOS.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: CentOS 6.1 beta testing program?

Post by pschaff » 2011/08/09 17:26:30

You can volunteer to help with CentOS QA by joining [url=http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel]centos-devel mailing list[/url] and introducing yourself, including your qualifications and what you think you could contribute; however, the core developers have not accepted any new offers of help for some time. My opinion is that more help is needed, but it's not my call.

taylorkh

Re: CentOS 6.1 beta testing program?

Post by taylorkh » 2011/08/10 12:45:22

Thanks NedSlider,

If I had [b]Red Hat entitlements[/b] I probably would not be using CentOS :-( Although I was getting close to purchasing a workstation license after a year and a half of fighting with suspend/resume vs. nVidia vs. Ubuntu. The machine seemed stable on CentOS 5.6 and I was getting impatient for CentOS 6 to be released. Turns out a cheap ATI Radeon card fixed the issue with Ubuntu so the pressure is off for the moment.

And to Phil, thanks again as always.

Considering how long it took for CentOS 6 to follow RHEL 6 perhaps more help is needed. On the other hand just throwing people at a problem does not necessarily help. I have seen that close up. I may subscribe to the mailing list and lurk for a while to see what is going on.

Please feel free to mark this thread [SOLVED] or whatever is appropriate.

Thanks,

Ken

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: [RESOLVED] CentOS 6.1 beta testing program?

Post by pschaff » 2011/08/10 13:45:57

[quote]
taylorkh wrote:
Considering how long it took for CentOS 6 to follow RHEL 6 perhaps more help is needed. On the other hand just throwing people at a problem does not necessarily help. I have seen that close up. I may subscribe to the mailing list and lurk for a while to see what is going on.[/quote]
Good idea, and I should have suggested that.

[quote]
Please feel free to mark this thread [SOLVED] or whatever is appropriate.[/quote]
Since you are leaving it with me I'll go with [RESOLVED].