CentOS 6 can't custom partition layout in text mode install

General support questions
cnkker

Post by cnkker » 2011/08/08 05:57:14

Today I'm trying to install CentOS 6 boot using text mode, but I can't create custom partition layout because I can't find the custom partition layout menu.
Where is manually partition setup in text mode install?

:-o :-o :-o :-o

pjc123

Re: CentOS 6 can't custom partition layout in text mode install

Post by pjc123 » 2011/08/08 11:55:23

FROM THE INSTALLATION MANUAL:

While text mode installations are not explicitly documented, those using the text mode installation
program can easily follow the GUI installation instructions. However, because text mode presents you
with a simpler, more streamlined insatallation process, certain options that are available in graphical
mode are not also available in text mode. These differences are noted in the description of the
installation process in this guide, and include:

• configuring advanced storage methods such as LVM, RAID, FCoE, zFCP, and iSCSI.
• customizing the partition layout
• customizing the bootloader layout
• selecting packages during installation
• configuring the installed system with Firstboot

ALSO:

Important — Graphical installation recommended
We recommed that you install Red Hat Enterprise Linux using the graphical interface. If you
are installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux on a system that lacks a graphical display, consider
performing the installation over a VNC connection – see Chapter 31, Installing Through VNC. If
anaconda detects that you are installing in text mode on a system where installation over a VNC
connection might be possible, anaconda asks you to verify your decision to install in text mode
even though your options during installation are limited.
If your system has a graphical display, but graphical installation fails, try booting with the
xdriver=vesa option – refer to Chapter 28, Boot Options

THE MANUAL ALSO GIVES A DESCRIPTION ON HOW TO DO A VNC INSTALL.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: CentOS 6 can't custom partition layout in text mode install

Post by scottro » 2011/08/08 12:16:15

I love that description of streamlined and simplified--it sounds so much better than "crippled."

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/08/09 21:28:56

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

[quote]
cnkker wrote:
Today I'm trying to install CentOS 6 boot using text mode, but I can't create custom partition layout because I can't find the custom partition layout menu.
Where is manually partition setup in text mode install?
[/quote]

In case it was not clear from the upstream verbiage, you can't find it because it does not exist. :-(

If having problems with the GUI install try "Install system with basic video driver." If that fails then see the [url=http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ch17s02.html#id3038193]upstream documentation[/url]. [url=http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/s1-guimode-interface-ppc.html]VNC[/url] may be an option.