Login Screen Hanging

General support questions
mikevan

Login Screen Hanging

Post by mikevan » 2011/11/02 02:14:51

Hello.

I am using CentOS 6 running inside of Oracle VirtualBox 4.1.4. Up until tonight, it has been working fine. Tonight when I logged in, the graphical login screen did not respond as expected. The mouse cursor stayed as a rotating circle. When I clicked on the login box for my user with the left-mouse button, the box flashed. When I right-clicked on the user, I very briefly (< 2 seconds) saw the normal password entry box. Then it returned to the user-selection box.

I was able to log into the console as root, but even as root, I was unable to run "startx" to enter the graphic environment.

Any ideas what might be going on?

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Login Screen Hanging

Post by pschaff » 2011/11/04 13:30:25

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

Can't tell with any certainty from the information provided, but are you perhaps running Guest Additions without having installed dkms, as outlined in the [url=http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Virtualization/VirtualBox]VirtualBox[/url] Wiki article, and have you then updated the kernel? Also be sure that Guest Additions is the latest version.