New installation v6.2 won't shutdown

General support questions
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: New installation v6.2 won't shutdown

Post by pschaff » 2012/02/21 11:23:22

First report I've seen on [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=nested+virtualization&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a]nested virtualization[/url] working - apparently a recent development, but still seems rather bleeding-edge.

artw

Post by artw » 2012/03/11 16:00:40

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
You are inappropriately installing the hypervisor tools inside a virtual machine. I don't know if that is the cause of the shutdown issue, but it is certainly not a good thing to do.[/quote]

I had chosen the "Software Development Workstation" installation option and it included the virtualization software ... and also enabled it by default.

Cheers,
Art

artw

Post by artw » 2012/03/11 16:03:52

[quote]
gbohn wrote:
> Shutting Down...Running guests on default URI:

I just went through this myself running CentOS 6.2 64-bit under a VMware Workstation 8.0.2 host (Windows-7). If your issue is the same as mine, then this is a bug in the VMware Workstation 8.0.2 BIOS.

See the thread at http://communities.vmware.com/thread/391186?tstart=0 .

In my case, I tried the workaround of changing

vcpu.hotadd = "TRUE"

to

vcpu.hotadd = "FALSE"

in the VMs .vmx file and this solved my issue.

I was even able to start a nested Guest VM after this.

Alternately (if you don't care about getting nested Virtualization working), I found another way to avoid the shutdown issue. I discovered that I could just disable and stop the libvirt-guest service (from the System/Services panel) to avoid the shutdown issue (before I changed the VMware VMs .vmx file).

Good Luck.[/quote]

Disabling the service "fixed" my issue. I will leave the virtualization software there and try the vm fix ... see if I can get nested vm's working.

Perhaps the hypervisor shouldn't be enabled by default on installation?

Thanks,
Art

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/03/11 16:56:44

[quote]
artw wrote:

I had chosen the "Software Development Workstation" installation option and it included the virtualization software ... and also enabled it by default.
[/quote]
I've noticed that, and generally find I get a configuration to suit my needs better by choosing Desktop and then adding development tools, particularly in a VM.

[quote]
Disabling the service "fixed" my issue. I will leave the virtualization software there and try the vm fix ... see if I can get nested vm's working.[/quote]
That should get interesting. Last time I tried it all I managed was to lock up the guest.

[quote]
Perhaps the hypervisor shouldn't be enabled by default on installation?[/quote]
I agree, but apparently upstream thinks differently. It might also be good if the installer could detect if it was running on a virtualized system and adapt accordingly, but it currently does not, at least on VirtualBox or VMware.