intel 965 display options

General support questions
TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: intel 965 display options

Post by TrevorH » 2012/04/08 18:18:33

I really dislike your choice of paste host - they suck :-(

The CentOS log clearly shows that it's still using the vesa driver and not the intel one. I'm afraid I'm confused about which file is which and what you did. Why not just try the Suse xorg.conf on CentOS?

Opus

Post by Opus » 2012/04/08 18:29:10

[quote]
TrevorH wrote:
I really dislike your choice of paste host - they suck :-(

The CentOS log clearly shows that it's still using the vesa driver and not the intel one. I'm afraid I'm confused about which file is which and what you did. Why not just try the Suse xorg.conf on CentOS?[/quote]

Suggestion taken and changed the host paste :)

Yeah I know about Vesa and Intel ones. Old Xorg.conf in CentOS has these entries

[quote]Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection[/quote]

While OpenSUSE doesn't have any xorg.conf instead they use a directory named xorg.conf.d with 10 conf files.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2012/04/08 20:49:18

The problem is that the vesa driver requires your BIOS to report all the modes that it can support in order to use a particular resolution. Many BIOSes are limited in the vesa range that they support and it looks like yours can only go to 1024x768. I believe it's possible to use a utility called 915Resolution to hack the BIOS supported modes table on boot so that the vesa driver can use the right mode but you're likely to get better performance and more options if you can use the native driver for the chipset - in this case the intel one.

Did you try an xorg.conf with the intel driver in it yet?

Opus

Post by Opus » 2012/04/08 22:06:38

[quote]
TrevorH wrote:
The problem is that the vesa driver requires your BIOS to report all the modes that it can support in order to use a particular resolution. Many BIOSes are limited in the vesa range that they support and it looks like yours can only go to 1024x768. I believe it's possible to use a utility called 915Resolution to hack the BIOS supported modes table on boot so that the vesa driver can use the right mode but you're likely to get better performance and more options if you can use the native driver for the chipset - in this case the intel one.

Did you try an xorg.conf with the intel driver in it yet?[/quote]

Yeah tried that with intel driver but CentOS failed to load x server. I noted one thing before. When I tried to install CentOS 6.2 I couldn't get anywhere with Install or Upgrade existing system option (just blank black screen after choosing that option) instead, I gotta switch to 2nd option i.e. Install system with basic video driver that resulted in successful installation. Does that have anything to do with "vesa" driver? I haven't seen any other Linux flavor including SUSE, OpenSUSE, Linux Mint doing that before.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2012/04/08 22:14:12

[quote]
tried that with intel driver but CentOS failed to load x server
[/quote]

The log from that attempt might be illuminating.

Vesa is the basic video driver.

Opus

Post by Opus » 2012/04/09 00:54:32

[quote]
TrevorH wrote:
[quote]
tried that with intel driver but CentOS failed to load x server
[/quote]

The log from that attempt might be illuminating.

Vesa is the basic video driver.[/quote]

I tried intel in xorg.conf+removed the nomodeset from grub.conf. After that rebooted to see CentOS hanging up at Starting jexec services. Then I disabled that particular service but still hang up didn't go away. Afterwards, restored the orginal grub.conf and xorg.conf but all together system halted at the same service. I guess this problem (bug) is with the upstream distro and was inherited by CentOS 6.2 and there seems to be no solution to that. Although it has been fixed later on with kernel 2.6.37+ so for the time being i'll go back to SUSE. Thanks for wonderful replies. You guys are the best.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/04/09 01:10:37

If a later kernel helps you could try an [url=http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml]ELRepo mainline kernel[/url].

Looking back, I'm wondering if the issue is related to the primary/secondary controllers:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) [8086:2a02] (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (secondary) [8086:2a03] (rev 03)

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2012/04/09 01:17:27

[quote]
I tried intel in xorg.conf+removed the nomodeset from grub.conf. After that rebooted to see CentOS hanging up at Starting jexec services. Then I disabled that particular service but still hang up didn't go away
[/quote]

Right, this sounds to me like you are starting your machine in runlevel 5 which tries to switch to X GUI mode to display the login screen. If X fails to initialise then the screen just stops after the last startup message and appears to die. For debugging GUI start up problems it's probably of far more use to start in runlevel 3 so that you can login in command line mode, do some configuration and run the startx command. If it fails then you get dropped back to the command level, you can look at logs and have another go after you've made changes.

It should still have generated a new Xorg.log file though.

Opus

Post by Opus » 2012/04/09 06:24:02

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
If a later kernel helps you could try an [url=http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml]ELRepo mainline kernel[/url].

Looking back, I'm wondering if the issue is related to the primary/secondary controllers:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) [8086:2a02] (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (secondary) [8086:2a03] (rev 03)[/quote]

:-) Exactly, so I tried the kernel-ml that installed without any error, but the firmware didn't install due to conflict with existing firmware. Thus simple kernel installation was not fruitful in this case without the firmware.

Opus

Post by Opus » 2012/04/09 06:28:23

[quote]
TrevorH wrote:
[quote]
I tried intel in xorg.conf+removed the nomodeset from grub.conf. After that rebooted to see CentOS hanging up at Starting jexec services. Then I disabled that particular service but still hang up didn't go away
[/quote]

Right, this sounds to me like you are starting your machine in runlevel 5 which tries to switch to X GUI mode to display the login screen. If X fails to initialise then the screen just stops after the last startup message and appears to die. For debugging GUI start up problems it's probably of far more use to start in runlevel 3 so that you can login in command line mode, do some configuration and run the startx command. If it fails then you get dropped back to the command level, you can look at logs and have another go after you've made changes.

It should still have generated a new Xorg.log file though.[/quote]

After failure at runlevel 5, I made all the changes in xorg.conf and grub.conf in single user mode then jumped to runlevel 3, but stupid X failed to start after step by step changes and multiple tries.

Afterwards I tried installation on a Desktop system with Intel G33 chipset and Intel Graphics Controller. Same thing happened over there as well. No native Intel drivers but the vesa driver and restriction of 1024x768 resolution though monitor supported 1920x1080. Thus I searched on Google and multiple people reported similar problems and seems like upstream has fixed the issue with Intel drivers, I wonder about CentOS.