Can't boot from USB using CentOS Minimal

General support questions
amityweb

Post by amityweb » 2012/11/27 13:25:59

Hi

I followed these intructions to create a bootable USB using my Mac:
http://blog.lewan.com/2012/02/10/making-a-bootable-usb-stick-on-an-apple-mac-os-x-from-an-iso/

This is so I can install CentOS from a USB.

They worked great for the Centos Netinstall and the Centos LiveCD. Both these booted from the USBs on my server.

BUT when I did it for the Centos Minimal iso it wont boot.

Is this an issue with the Minimal ISO??

I really want to install Centos Minimal, but can only install the full Centos from the LiveCD. I dont want the GUI or any GUI apps.

Thanks a lot

Adnako

Re: Can't boot from USB using CentOS Minimal

Post by Adnako » 2013/07/19 11:02:38

Same here.
Minimal iso can't boot from flash anyway.

AndrewSerk

Post by AndrewSerk » 2013/07/19 15:00:03

Hi people and welcome to CentOS Forum,

The minimal iso can be booted from a flash/pen/usb drive. The minimal iso can not be just copied or dd'd to a usb drive and boot.

The procedure to setup the minimal.iso as a bootable usb drive from a upstream clone (CentOS, SL, etc.) or Fedora is as follows:
If you don't have one of the above listed OS running already, then get a livecd of one of them and boot/use it to create the minimal usb.

Install the repo epel by following the instruction listed: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#Using_EPEL

Install the "livecd-tools" package from epel with a command like:
[code]su -c 'yum install livecd-tools'[/code]

Download the CentOS minimal.iso (or any other CentOS livecd/DVD or install DVD. For a DVD you wil need a larger than 4gigabyte usb)
Determine the USB sticks device location to use in place of "/dev/sd?" in the following command. You can determin the device location with the disk utility.
You can then put the CD to USB with commands similar to the following:

[code]su -
cd /home/USERNAME/Downloads/
livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr CentOS-6.4-i386-minimal.iso /dev/sd?[/code]

When the above command has completed you will have a bootable minimal install usb. :-)

Hope this helps,