CentOS for game hosting.

General support questions
arriej

CentOS for game hosting.

Post by arriej » 2014/04/17 12:33:30

Hey everyone!

i am quite new to Linux and everything i played around with CentOS on my pc here at home and i am running a minecraft server for 2 years now.
But i want to get rid of the expansive hosting and just get a dedicated server my self.
But when i installed CentOS on the pc you has various option on what to install (Desktop, webserver, mail server etc.)
But now instead of only a minecraft server i want something more game community style and host multiple server (tf2 and gmod for Example)
I want to run this all with CentOS and TCadmin v2.0 (http://www.tcadmin.com/)
But now my question is What install could i do best on the server. And what is the best way to do some protection on it and that i can still acces the device from outside since its going to a data center.

Anyway i hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks!

dejanst

Re: CentOS for game hosting.

Post by dejanst » 2014/04/17 12:54:12

Fistly - I think that if you start calculating how much electrical power the server consumes and that you need to have your server up and running for the vast majority of time (downtime is a bad thing ;)) you will see that prices of hosted VPS-es are fall cheaper than hosting a server at your home.

What you desire requires a lot of work on your part. Setting up a public facing server that has hardened security and provides good uptime is not an eazy thing. So I suggest you start of with the minimal installation and a lot of reading of Red Hat 6 official documentation. Come back to the forum when you get stuck with a totally specific thing.

arriej

Post by arriej » 2014/04/17 13:06:19

Hey,

Thanks. for your info.
But i wont host this server at home. Its a 19" server so it goes to a Data Center at I3D in the Netherlands.
and that starts from 28 euro a month. and that is cheaper for the dedicated server i pay nearly 70 euro a month for now.
I calculated my self in for 2 months of getting the server ready at home before bringing it to the data center.
And yes its not easy to do, but i also have someone who does know allot about linux and will be able to help me but this person does not has all the time of the world. So i will get my self into the red hat documentation.

Thanks again.

dejanst

Post by dejanst » 2014/04/17 13:19:58

Ah, that is totally another story ;)

Learning Linux and it's services takes a lot of patience, time and attention to details. You will find yourself lerning protocols and programs where they are implemented. There is not an eazy way to do it, just do lots of reading and trial and error.

Another good advice - take notes when you are setting up the server. In a couple of months you will forget half of what you learned and notes come in very hand after some time ;)

Greg_E

Post by Greg_E » 2014/04/17 17:24:27

dejanst wrote:Learning Linux and it's services takes a lot of patience, time and attention to details. You will find yourself lerning protocols and programs where they are implemented. There is not an eazy way to do it, just do lots of reading and trial and error.

Another good advice - take notes when you are setting up the server. In a couple of months you will forget half of what you learned and notes come in very hand after some time ;)
Yup, I agree. I'm in the learning and asking stupid questions phase. The notes and screen captures are important and creating a guide for yourself also helps to reinforce what you learned.

vonskippy

Post by vonskippy » 2014/04/17 17:50:32

Doesn't most game servers require bleeding edge apps?

If so, you might have problems with CentOS's (via RHEL) method of using older more stable versions with security fixes backported into the older version number.

Most people I know that run game hosts do so on Ubuntu or Ubuntu LTS for that very reason.

Be sure to check the system/app requirements of the games you plan to host - THEN - pick which distro best provides those needs.
For the 2.5^15th time :: Better Details = Better Answers

arriej

Post by arriej » 2014/04/17 18:54:07

vonskippy wrote:Doesn't most game servers require bleeding edge apps?

If so, you might have problems with CentOS's (via RHEL) method of using older more stable versions with security fixes backported into the older version number.

Most people I know that run game hosts do so on Ubuntu or Ubuntu LTS for that very reason.

Be sure to check the system/app requirements of the games you plan to host - THEN - pick which distro best provides those needs.

Our current host also uses CentOS 6 and we run minecraft, Gmod, tf2, cs:s, MYsql, ts3 and a web server on it. So i am guessing since they rent it out it is stable and working.