Can't Update Packages

General support questions
TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Can't Update Packages

Post by TrevorH » 2014/04/24 14:58:17

FreePBX appear to have bolted on top of CentOS and made their own modifications to it. What they appear to have done has made it no longer CentOS - the removal of the centos-release package certainly qualifies as that! You'll need to check with them why they did this and what effects reinstalling it might have.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Pantela

Post by Pantela » 2014/04/24 15:01:56

OK Thx. All. i try to write FreePBX support, and answer write here, maybe anybody can help this topic...

But if i want to see centos Packages, i must install this right? http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/os/x8 ... x86_64.rpm

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2014/04/24 15:27:48

We cannot support every distro that claims to be BASED ON CentOS.
They make changes to the system, add unsupported software, and leave out critical pieces.
If you have a problem with a system installed from the ISOs downloaded from a CentOS mirror, this is the place for support.
If you installed a distro downloaded elsewhere, you need to go there for support.

Pantela

Post by Pantela » 2014/04/24 15:54:28

Yes i understand you.
I am new in Linux an CentOS, and i think it's CentOS problem, now i write FreePBX support and end answer i write here, that maybe can helps ))

avij
Retired Moderator

Post by avij » 2014/04/24 16:17:05

To determine if something is a CentOS problem, the procedure is:
  • Download the CentOS installation .iso image from http://www.centos.org/download/
  • Install using the .iso image you downloaded
  • Do not install any third party applications or repositories. In particular, do not install FreePBX, Asterisk, cPanel, repoforge, atomic or the like. Doing so would immediately invalidate the testing.
  • Try to reproduce the error you were having
  • If it works, it is not a CentOS problem.
In particular, CentOS always comes with the centos-release rpm installed. Among other things, centos-release contains the necessary settings for yum to function properly. Your CentOS-based distribution has apparently chosen to not ship centos-release, thus breaking yum. It is definitely not a CentOS problem.

Pantela

Post by Pantela » 2014/04/24 17:10:36

FreePBX support helps me :)
The reason was: I have't /etc/yum.repos.d/FreePBX.repo file, i copy in in hosting, and upload wget in server... and install MC

Thx. And sorry for all.

P.S. Admins if you think that this topic is offtop please delete, maybe any noobs can help...