Can it be this simple?

General support questions
Brew

Can it be this simple?

Post by Brew » 2014/08/09 12:07:00

Following on to my recent post (Newbie help) where I asked advice re; transferring a server to a new box. I was told in no uncertain terms that I had zero knowledge of Linux and should seek a consultant. It's true I have little knowledge and a lot to learn. So after advertising I have been contacted by a Linux 'expert' who proposes to access both servers, old and new, and simply drag and drop everything, programmes, databases, phpBB forum etc.
Can it really be that simple or am I being taken for a ride?
Thank you
Brew

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Can it be this simple?

Post by TrevorH » 2014/08/09 12:28:45

If he's "dragging and dropping" then he's using a GUI which pretty much marks him out as a non-expert.

What you really need to do is install the new server and reinstall the packages in question then work out how they were customised on the old machine and make the same customisations on the new one. You'd also need to copy the data across from one to the other. So, yes, it could be done via drag and drop but that sounds like the long way around to me.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

vonskippy

Post by vonskippy » 2014/08/09 19:41:31

As long as you have a copy of the old server - pay for results. If the "expert" actually does move everything across and it works per your specifications, then Yipee!, if not, don't pay the guy. Just be sure to change ALL passwords the moment after the job is complete.

But sounds fishy. There is NO way you can "drag and drop" applications across two different server platforms.
For the 2.5^15th time :: Better Details = Better Answers

luanatf

Post by luanatf » 2014/08/09 20:02:27

He can drag and drop all data files he wants, but to move the system and applications successfully, he has to reconfigure it all. So half of it is easy, the other half isn't. Did you hire this person to only move data (basically, save a backup and move it to the new box) or they're in charge of "moving" the system, too?
~ Luana Spinetti ~