Install CentOS 6.6 nonGUI

General support questions
1Raptor007

Install CentOS 6.6 nonGUI

Post by 1Raptor007 » 2015/02/25 02:25:40

I am trying to install CentOS 6.6 on an old system (Pentium 4 / 512mb RAM / Integrated Video Card) with no DVD drive. I finally found a method to create a bootable USB flash drive with an ISO image. My challenge now is that the installation doesn't look anything like the documentation (screenshots). It is in no way graphical. It looks like DOS from 1985. In addition, during the install it asks for installation media and target drives. It seems like no matter what I try (about 4 installs now) it wants to install on the actual USB flash drive. I know this because when I take the flash drive out it indicates there is no operating system/missing files etc. In the end all I get is a command line window and nothing else?

I thought LINUX was supposed to be good with old hardware. It seems to me like Linux is an absolute beast and requires the best hardware on the market to run. I say this because I was able to get Ubuntu 14.04 to run on this same system and it is dreadfully slow. The windows take about 15 seconds to maximize or minimize. It is horrible. Please someone give me some reason to get on this Linux bandwagon. At this point I see nothing very exciting at all. Please change my mind.

So why is my install in a non-GUI version? Low end video card really makes that much difference ??? come on!!!!!!

chemal

Re: Install CentOS 6.6 nonGUI

Post by chemal » 2015/02/25 03:20:20

Poor boy! Intel Brookdale graphics seem to have been abandoned in RHEL6 about a year ago.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Install CentOS 6.6 nonGUI

Post by TrevorH » 2015/02/25 08:53:38

Your machine doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run the graphical install. You need more RAM.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke