NFS Group issue

General support questions
Halo.wings

NFS Group issue

Post by Halo.wings » 2015/02/27 17:40:16

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting here so please be gentle if i do not know all of the proper etiquette of this forum.

We have been using NFS and auto-mount for the past 10 years or so (at least this is how long i have been working on the systems). When we first started integrating our systems with a Microsoft Active Directory, we ran into problems with a limitation on the amount of groups that a user could be a member of (16). If a user was a member of more then 16 groups we would have to have them use the newgrp command to switch to the proper group so they could access software as member of group X. This was later changed to where NFS groups could be 65536. Everything was working perfectly up until about 4 weeks ago (at least that is when we noticed the problem), it seems that the groups that a user can be a member of has dropped back down to 16.

I do not know where this change happened, but it causing a lot of problems for us as we have users that are members of 100's of groups, and now they are having problems running software because the software will require that they are members or 4 or 5 groups to access the software, but running newgrp only allows them to switch one group at a time.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there a work around?

I have checked /proc/sys/kernel and it still has nggroup_max set to 65536

I have read that i need to find AUTH_UNIX - but i was not able to find the file (i was not able to file AUTH_*) on the system.

The systems are CentOS 6.6 with all of the updates installed. The most recent system was installed on Feb 4, 2015.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Halo

gerald_clark

Re: NFS Group issue

Post by gerald_clark » 2015/02/27 18:42:41

Are you by any chance using NFS V3 instead of NFS V4?