Booting up don't have progressbar

General support questions
vibol

Booting up don't have progressbar

Post by vibol » 2015/04/14 16:24:54

Hello,

I just install Centos 6 Desktop on my laptop with 4gb ram and 80gb hard drive. Everything is work find. But as i remember i test it in Vmware i see a progressbar is loading when my system bootup to Desktop screen. But this time i don't see any progressbar on my laptop or any text when i boot up my laptop (just only black screen).

Wish it could get fixed.

gerald_clark

Re: Booting up don't have progressbar

Post by gerald_clark » 2015/04/14 18:10:52

Remove "rhgb" and "quiet" boot codes so you can see what is going on. Also change the runlevel to 3.
Read the FAQ at elrepo to identify what video driver you need. Once you have installed the driver from elrepo
and can successfully run "init 5" you can change the runlevel in /etc/inittab to 5.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2015/04/14 18:18:42

The progress bar stuff depends on using a video driver that uses the Kernel Mode Switch (KMS) stuff. Some drivers like the proprietary nvidia one don't support that. Most of the opensource ones that ship with CentOS should do though.

Once you are past the point where the progress bar should be displayed, do your graphics work normally?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

vibol

Post by vibol » 2015/04/16 18:19:16

TrevorH wrote:The progress bar stuff depends on using a video driver that uses the Kernel Mode Switch (KMS) stuff. Some drivers like the proprietary nvidia one don't support that. Most of the opensource ones that ship with CentOS should do though.

Once you are past the point where the progress bar should be displayed, do your graphics work normally?
I notices that i see black screen when the system booting up but i can see if i switch to the text mode i only know that the graphic work normally when i'm in the log screen. I'm sorry i'm not in English language so maybe i miss understanding in translate your question