Could not update ICEAuthorityfile /var/lib/gdm/.ICEauthority

General support questions
CharmingNathan

Could not update ICEAuthorityfile /var/lib/gdm/.ICEauthority

Post by CharmingNathan » 2015/04/17 13:29:05

During the boot process when one sees "CentOS" on the splash screen, I see a dialogue box come up with the following message: "Could not update: ICEAuthority File" var/lib/gdm/.ICEauthority. Despite seeing an active mouse circle on the screen, it would appear I have no keyboard or mouse control at this point.

While in Single User Mode, I did a directory listing to establish the permissions and against the gdm directory, where presumably there should have been an "x" there was a letter "t" for the 'other' group permissions!?

Having done some research on this, albeit most posts are from the Ubuntu Forms, the suggestions have been to chown .ICEauthority over from root to owner, chown the entire gdm directory from root to owner, and to delete the entire gdm directory.

With the exception of the delete option, I have tried the first two, and these made no difference at all. I thought I would ask this forum before deleting an entire directory. I have tried one or two more possible solutions to this and they have had no affect. I now have full access to .iCEauthority for all users, and both .ICEauthority under my own username and under /var/lib/gdm have both been chowned to my own and root user with no difference whatsoever.

I have also discovered that I am unable to start the D.N.S. service (service named start just returns a fail), and on exiting from the console "HAL" fails. Whereas I can start ssh service, I cannot ssh in from my own P.C. (which also runs CentOS 6) under either root or my own name. I just get a connection timed out message.

These actions cover most, if not all, of the suggestions I have seen on this and other Forums, EXCEPT deleting .ICEauthority from under my own profile and deleting it from gdm too.

I am really stuck here, so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks.

gerald_clark

Re: Could not update ICEAuthorityfile /var/lib/gdm/.ICEautho

Post by gerald_clark » 2015/04/17 13:41:14