CentOS equivalent of Windows "R" Repair?

General support questions
CharmingNathan

CentOS equivalent of Windows "R" Repair?

Post by CharmingNathan » 2015/04/21 12:47:36

On Windows XP installation disk, there is an "R" repair - so called because you press the letter R to initiate it.

In circumstances of system crashes, where there is no direct access to the Operating System, one loads the disk, and opts for this repair which basically replaces the entire installation and drivers directory, but leaving all other data and applications in the same place.

I have tested the memory by swapping sticks out and run Badblocks on the Hard Drive, both came back okay.

First sign of trouble was using vsftp when it couldn't find an I.P. address, then TightVNC crashed, rapidly flashing between desktop background and black screen.

Thanks for your help.

***ADDITIONAL INFORMATION*** After receiving advice, I decided to go and re-install CentOS. Bearing in mind, I am using the same machine, Hard Disk, and CD-R as I used to install it in the first place.

However, as soon as I enter the U.R.L. and the proceeding progress bar gets to 100%, the installation crashes back to the console, only offering a re-boot with the following error message:

"Loader exited unexpectedly. Running anaconda 13.21.215. The CentOS System installer exec of anaconda failed Exec: format error Installer exited abnormally (1/1)".

I have looked into this myself online and found almost no reference to the message whatsoever, do you have any ideas?

Thanks for your help.