X is unable to start during install of 64bit distribution

General support questions
basskleff

Re: X is unable to start during install of 64bit distributio

Post by basskleff » 2015/06/30 20:50:32

Ok, just cool it a bit. I know it's frustrating.
A signal 11/segmentation fault can likely be due to an incompatibility between a library in the driver and perhaps a library in the Xserver.
Basically, the programming code makes a call to another library (program) function, which does something illegal or not understood or out of bounds, and the memory dumps and kills the whole program at large. It will always, always do this until one of the programs (driver, library, etc.) is changed so that all are compatible.
They can be kind of nasty to track down. I don't have a lot of recent experience with this kind of issue, but you should look in the direction of upgrading (or rolling back the driver) for whatever video card is in that HP machine. Some others here probably have some more recent experience and can comment some on tips on where to go next.

no_windows

Post by no_windows » 2015/07/01 01:15:26

basskleff wrote:Ok, just cool it a bit. I know it's frustrating.
Yes, I am quite frustrated. I'm sorry, if I'm not presenting information in the expected format, or expected time, but I really am trying.
A signal 11/segmentation fault can likely be due to an incompatibility between a library in the driver and perhaps a library in the Xserver.
How does this happen? I was under the impression that dependencies were kept track of in some manner.
......you should look in the direction of upgrading (or rolling back the driver) for whatever video card is in that HP machine.
It's an ATI Rage XL chip. It seems this chip has been a problem for others too, although, I haven't found a problem quite like mine, or at least didn't recognize it. I've wondered if it would be better/easier to add a video card with a better supported chip. I'm not real sure if that can be done with a server, given that they often run headless.

basskleff

Post by basskleff » 2015/07/02 01:16:04

You are the right track. If you have a different, spare video card and can put it in, do that.
Chances are its driver won't give the same X problems as the ATI rage card.
Good luck and keep us posted.

no_windows

Post by no_windows » 2015/07/02 02:18:12

basskleff wrote:You are the right track. If you have a different, spare video card and can put it in, do that.
Chances are its driver won't give the same X problems as the ATI rage card.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Actually I don't have a 3.3v PCI card. I'll have to buy one. The only video cards I have are PCI-e, I think....maybe AGP. Ebay should turn something up pretty cheap, Though.

no_windows

Post by no_windows » 2015/07/09 01:58:20

Well, I tried to avoid the whole situation by getting a video card with a different chipset...... well that didn't work. If I install the video card the fans spin up and some lights blink, but the server doesn't seem to POST..... no video whatsoever! Supposedly it's possible, as I found a message on an HP board saying that the MB video will automatically disable, but I can't find anyone actually doing it.