pipe character missing

General support questions
Nacnud

pipe character missing

Post by Nacnud » 2015/06/29 11:57:45

Hi
I have a version of CENTOS 6.6 running in a cloud environment, I need to use the pipe character and even though I have tried every key I can think of, alas it seems to have me beaten.
I can tell you I have tried every key combo I can think of, a couple of things that may help you decide what’s wrong is, that when I hit shift and the number 3 I do not get £ sign, in fact there is nothing mapped to that key. Also when I press the # key (without shift) I get the number 3. Although it says I am using the British keyboard it certainly seems like the US keymapping or some variant of that.

These are the things I have tried, forgive me as I am a bit of a noob at Linux at the moment, and if I have made a blatant mistake, feel free to correct me ;)

I have tried going into etc/sysconfig/keyboard and there I see the following
KEYTABLE="uk"
MODEL="pc105" (Not sure what this means)
LAYOUT="gb"
KEYBOARBTYPE="pc"

I have also tried, after looking is different forums, the command localectl status but that returns bash: localectl: command not found

I installed system config keyboard and that also seemed to say I have the right keyboard, so I except that now, but why can I not find the pipe key?? I am now wondering if this is something that needs setting via setxkbmap but when I run it, it again says command not found

So I have come to the end of my knowledge as far as setting up a keyboard in CENTOS goes, and I don't want to make more issues trying to fix the one I have. So I thought I would turn to people who know more than I do about this.

Any pointers or a new direction to look in, will be gratefully received.

Okay after much looking around it seems that it may not be the problem with the CENTOS installs. It seems to be anything that I use VM related, I just tried to log into a windows VM and when I tried to pop in a little backslash \ it was a # sign.
After looking round found this link http://nthrbldyblg.blogspot.co.uk/2008/ ... ffect.html, which I am looking into.

Thanks for your help
Nacnud
Last edited by Nacnud on 2015/06/29 12:55:20, edited 1 time in total.

gerald_clark

Re: pipe character missing

Post by gerald_clark » 2015/06/29 12:52:27

If it is in the cloud, how are you connecting?
If it is putty, check your putty settings.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2015/06/29 17:43:53

See if the command

setxkbmap us

helps.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

Nacnud

Post by Nacnud » 2015/06/30 11:42:53

Hi
Thanks for your replies, I was looking at this yesterday afternoon and got involved with the tech support team from our provider. It seems that it's a known problem. Even though things were okay Friday morning, and for the past 3 months. It seems that Chrome just decided to stop playing nice. After talking to tech-support I have changed browsers and I am now using IE 11, I have disabled "Use protected mode" found in Options-Security, then I went into tools and clicked on Compatibility View settings, I added the domain address of the web portal, restarted IE, then I tried to log in.

I was then asked if I wanted to download a VMWare update, installed that and I can now log in and use the pipe command straight from the browser ;)

I followed this, so if anyone else has the same issues there is a work round.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=2071245

Thanks for your help