yum update giving Error: xz compression not available

General support questions
Nixnoob

yum update giving Error: xz compression not available

Post by Nixnoob » 2015/07/21 17:43:07

Hi there,

I have a centos 6 box that I just installed and installed solusvm with openvz. Since then I haven't been able to run a yum update to get the latest packages.

I googled and found viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50736

But it didn't seem to make a difference. This is my first post here as I've been able to fix all of my other issues via google search. I'm unsure what information you guys need so let me know!

Thanks all for the look.

avij
Retired Moderator

Re: yum update giving Error: xz compression not available

Post by avij » 2015/07/21 17:48:42

Have you tried asking the SolusVM about the problem? If it was their program that broke it, it's their responsibility to take care of the problem.

Nixnoob

Post by Nixnoob » 2015/07/21 17:50:28

I have a ticket in with them about it, but to be honest anything outside of openvz commands or the master they're like "it's the OS". So I figured I'd start asking here because it seems to be a yum repo problem?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2015/07/21 17:53:31

The last time I saw this it was due to someone installing the CentOS 7 version of EPEL on a CentOS 6 system. EPEL7 uses xz compression which yum on CentOS 6 does not know how to handle. If you run rpm -q epel-release and the version number of it is 7.x then you have the wrong version. Use rpm -e epel-release to remove it, then manually clean up /var/cache/yum/x86_64/7/epel and remove all .xz files from it and any other epel* directories. Once this is done you can use the correct way to install EPEL which is yum --enablerepo=extras install epel-release and it will pick up the right epel-release package. You may also need to run yum clean all.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Nixnoob

Post by Nixnoob » 2015/07/21 17:56:44

Thank you for your post! I believe you were the one that helped the other person that I linked as well.

Here is your command(s) and outputs.

Code: Select all

# rpm -q epel-release
epel-release-6-8.noarch

# yum clean all
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities, security
Cleaning repos: base cl-base cl-updates elrepo extras openvz-kernel-rhel6 openvz-utils soluslabs updates virtuozzo-os
Cleaning up Everything
Cleaning up list of fastest mirrors
# yum upgrade
Setting up Upgrade Process
Determining fastest mirrors
 * elrepo: repos.lax-noc.com
 * soluslabs: mirror.us1.soluslabs.net
base                                                                                                         | 3.7 kB     00:00
base/primary_db                                                                                              | 4.6 MB     00:00
cl-base                                                                                                      | 3.8 kB     00:00
cl-base/primary_db                                                                                           | 4.6 MB     00:01
cl-updates                                                                                                   | 3.8 kB     00:00
cl-updates/primary_db                                                                                        | 457 kB     00:00
elrepo                                                                                                       | 2.9 kB     00:00
elrepo/primary_db                                                                                            | 728 kB     00:00
extras                                                                                                       | 3.4 kB     00:00
extras/primary_db                                                                                            |  31 kB     00:00
openvz-kernel-rhel6                                                                                          | 2.8 kB     00:00
openvz-kernel-rhel6/primary_db                                                                               | 9.1 kB     00:00
openvz-utils                                                                                                 | 2.5 kB     00:00
openvz-utils/primary_db                                                                                      |  27 kB     00:00
soluslabs                                                                                                    |  951 B     00:00
soluslabs/primary                                                                                            |  11 kB     00:00
soluslabs                                                                                                                     39/39
updates                                                                                                      | 3.4 kB     00:00
updates/primary_db                                                                                           | 4.4 MB     00:00
virtuozzo-os                                                                                                 | 3.0 kB     00:00
virtuozzo-os/primary_db                                                                                      | 609 kB     00:00
Error: xz compression not available

# yum update
Setting up Update Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

# yum --enablerepo=extras install epel-release
Setting up Install Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
I'm truly unsure where to go at this point.

EDIT: Forgot to try the enable repo.

I did try and remove it completely but it said it wasn't present?

]# yum --disablerepo=elep

Error getting repository data for elep, repository not found

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2015/07/21 18:19:59

It is epel, not elep.
Also, your operating system is OpenVZ, not CentOS.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2015/07/21 22:10:58

Search for .xz files under /var/cache/yum and see which directory they are in. That directory should be named after the repo that is wrong - you almost certainly have an el7 yum repo in the mix somewhere.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke