Attempting to create custom USB install - CentOS 6.8

General support questions
mgillow

Attempting to create custom USB install - CentOS 6.8

Post by mgillow » 2016/08/12 19:35:10

I have been trying unsuccessfully to create a customized install image on a USB stick for CentOS 6.8.
I had a process that worked just fine on 6.5 but am having nothing but trouble with 6.8.
What has me confused is that I can create a bootable stick of the original minimal ISO by downloading it and using dd to write it to the stick,
but if I try to follow steps to copy the contents of the ISO locally then create a new ISO with mkisofs, then write that ISO to the USB stick using dd, the stick is not bootable.

I figure that if I can first get a straight recreation of the minimal ISO to work then the rest should fall into place.
Here is what I tried:

Code: Select all

mkdir /tmp/bootiso
mount -o loop CentOS-6.8-x86_64-minimal.iso /tmp/bootiso
mkdir /tmp/bootisoks
cp -r /tmp/bootiso/* /tmp/bootisoks/
umount /tmp/bootiso && rmdir /tmp/bootiso
chmod -R u+w /tmp/bootisoks
cd /tmp/bootisoks && mkisofs -o /tmp/boot.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R -J -v -T isolinux/. .
dd if=/tmp/boot.iso of=/dev/sdb
Any assistance is appreciated.

mgillow

Re: Attempting to create custom USB install - CentOS 6.8

Post by mgillow » 2016/08/19 14:32:43

quick status update - I had to use isohybrid before writing the ISO to the USB stick. That appears to work OK to recreate the minimal ISO. However my prediction of "the rest should fall into place" hasn't been close. I'm still struggling with the kickstart stuff.