Command mods not working properly--"dd", "mount", "ssdh_config".....

General support questions
CorbinCore

Command mods not working properly--"dd", "mount", "ssdh_config".....

Post by CorbinCore » 2017/02/19 04:54:11

Just as the title indicates, Im having some problems with CentOS 6.8 in terms of my command line. I would do just fine with any of the following: suggestions, resolutuions, advice, or just tell me im a dill-weed meat and go stop what Im doing and just fix it. I have never, last 5 years of running various linux have I had this much trouble with cmd and compatibility. As a disclaimer Ill say that Im not indending to blame all the issues on the OS itsself or lack of certain aspects. I would love to blame CentOS but that liits my effective recources due to a closed mind. (which is kinds the opposite of Linux.) This OS hardly seems compatible even with itsself...I dont mean that that in a hyper-critical way or down-talking or any of that. Just a frustrated human displaying a vicious attempt to regain some sanity. I have CentOS on two of my machines right now, and NEITHER will initialize proper "dd=xxxxx of=/dev/xxx. This is the main issue I will address. As far as I know it actually takes more than alot realize to tell a machine to do that vs telling it to open and change or view a file or to transport me and my property between diminsions. I could just be a meat head on that one but right now I just want dd command to work and for me to know why its currently not. If I can fix "dd" and know why it was braken or missing, that should provide me with more than enough base knoledge of how to repair my other problems. loss of ssdh_config is probobly linked to loss of "systemctl", strange acting vi/vim scriping is most likely in the same relm. "systemctl' and "systemd" "ssdh" are probobly the same problem. Then crash during a "system-config-network" was most likely the weather, or linked to sshd. Here is some information first:

My Machine #1
-She a custom built development and processing computer. I use it as a server for my other 3 home systems as well as a server for development project's secondary studio. I do a fair amount of developing on her but like to do that a lot on my laptops. I use it mostly as a server, for data processing, scrip format diversifying, data visualisation and for my global data feeds. The feeds pour into this comuter, are separated, processed, reformatted and placed in XML files to be displayed as wave, line, candle charts, python, java, and blah blah blah blah to be sent to another program I have that breaks down the scripts and codeing, catagorizes that too and I wake up everyday with a new moment-to-moment real-time list, chart, stratagy, and procedure of all the data I need that day. Its really quite wonderful but with my server being down for security and function reasons, I am lacking my daily scoop in which is crucial to my line of work. Then I take over the data but my programs do some of the work

-AMD 8-core 3.1 (I know...I know...I got t upgrade)
-16 GB RAM Set with a custom toggle.
-8 GB RAM set with toggle.
-MSI Krait SLI 970 board with the 3.1usbx6 slots
-2T Hard Superblock SATA
-1T Hard block SATA

So ill keep it straight forward....No functionality of "dd" command, vi script editing switches between vi and vim for no apparent, I may be upapparent, reason. When I download an iso file it does not translate its contents correct. Maybe I just being a classic meat head and simply do not understand the mechanics well enough. OR maybe a lack of carefully placed indexing systems within the operating system, OR its both. I suppose it could still be my machines but they run other systems just fine, and another option could still be the downloads or some evil bug attached to my server's deep tty1/tty2/tty3 acting as shark like spool/sbin/etc/ssdh....so on and so forth. I have used various downloads because naturally I speculated that it was the raw image I was using or the mechanics in which I processed them. as it stands, its quite the time consuming headache and a half to transfer files of nearly any kind from system to system; my current protocol is to download the file via http, copy to a USB, put it on either my 3rd or 4th machine (both running other systems) and restore the image in a heavily tweaked image/zip/tar program i built and use on a mac(hate apple with a passion my wife loves it). It actually facilitates my programs very well once I assemble housing unit for said program. I build the computer and just run a slightly older apple OS but it still doesnt like foreign programs and code but there are fun ways around that. After I resore the file, I convert back to ex2 or 4, burn back to the drive, and boot from it adjusting the partitions to adhere to both or sometimes I dont want an entire OS so Ill just go into the grub and mount the files I want with the system. Im sure at the least there is a much more effective method of doing this even still keeping in mind the lack of "dd" command "cdrecord", "wodim" functionality. So right now my server is offline most of the time because I would rather not have a spuratic sshd_config platform with a mind of its own. Lets also keep in my mind that some of these problems Im having are more than likely my fault in some way. But I fail to see how I could have harmed the defaults or back-room-back-door-back-orrice stratagies that are used with the Linux kernals and portals. I dont mess with my ssdh_config lines more than I need to in an attempt to not mess with the defaults. I havent touched that since "systemctl" all of a sudden decided to leave the building....after all systemctl is/was my adopted child. I would understand if she left me for another family but only if I was being and neglectful and harsh father figure to her. "Her" being "systemctl". I will list the ways in which I went about this issue :

-Numerous different download files, types, mirrors, providers, packaging methods.....
-Various methods of retrieval
-tty based repair--
-various computers, hardware, and software. I tried home-made as well as pre-built applications, scripts, and mediums.
-study and intensive homework and research about terminals, back doors, loopholes, scripting, compatability, loading mediums, and re-read considered every single package options CentOS is nice enough (I truely mean that, no sarcasm) to offer.

I backed room'd my chroot it a very annoying (not for me) back and forth and left and right and all around safe zone. Didnt do that until after the vanishing of "systemctl" and systemd when I thought I had maybe caught a bug somewhere down the road. Maybe I left a terminal logged in as root some night or some other user error but I really dont think so.....I addressed all option that Im aware of being even making a post so that should tell you that naturally assumed user error to the problem. Long, long\, long, eye drying, mind collaspsing story, I am at a loss for how to deal with this. This is my first public use of a forum in 4-5 years of running Linux kernals and their attributes. Obviously I have had my fair share of annoying problems leaving me frustrated and hopeless. There is always a way...even if that way is to run a different system on a different machine in a different way but there is always a way to overcome a linux issue. Didnt do that until after the vanishing of "systemctl" and systemd when I thought I had maybe caught a bug somewhere down the road. Maybe I left a terminal logged in as root some night or some other user error but I really dont think so.....I addressed all option that Im aware of being even making a post so that should tell you that naturally assumed user error to the problem. I know I said I would keep it short but after looking at a fair amount of forum posts, I wanted to avoid lots and lots of unincluded information. Not to mention Im an author and teacher too so that doesnt help me shut the hell up and stop tying or talking. So if anyone has bared through this post even if they could tell right away that I just a huge dum dum, please aid. Even if all you gotta say is, "your an idiot...this is what you do", thats fine with me. Here are the problems Im having on the other computer I have CentOS 6.8 on:

-lack of functioning "dd" command
-"wodim" command
-support in terms of downloading iso files and having them actually be iso files.... Always gotta convert first on a different operating system. Ive never had to do more than a simple image restore thats usually within a utility on the operating system. To be honest I still have not found a fully functioning utility for converting to iso, effective restoration, or effective archive reverts but im sure they are there. I have only been using CentOS 6.8 for a couple weeks and that is nowhere near enough exposure to really know my way around. But I can pretty much build my own I just dont know enough about bootloading (obviously. As you can tell) or enough know-how of default tty2 or 3 to construct proper functionality while still living an Open souce way of life for me and for all. Im going to speculate that my problems with CentOS are related to the divisions and factions of Linux that I need to learn more about. It just seems strange to me that I have never had a command call and put issue this severe without causing it myself or allowing it to be caused.
So. Sorry for the long post. But not sorry at the same time. My name is Corbin; I am a developer, programmer, global data manager, anti-closed end system actavist, and a simple dude having a hell of a time doing many simple tasks in CentOS but not having much problem doing the more uncommon vertan tasks. Bugs or no bugs, I want to keep CentOS on my head computer for many many reasons but I need a little help. Why is my question.

avij
Retired Moderator

Re: Command mods not working properly--"dd", "mount", "ssdh_config".....

Post by avij » 2017/02/19 08:40:35

A few comments..

dd does work, I'm not sure what your problem is with that command.

Same with vi/vim, it does work. Your long wall of text did not tell what your actual problem was.

The file you are looking for is /etc/ssh/sshd_config, not /etc/ssh/ssdh_config

wodim (replacing cdrecord) is available with yum install wodim

systemctl is only available in CentOS 7, it is not available in CentOS 6. The service command fills that role in CentOS 6.

CentOS can download .iso files just fine. I prefer wget, but curl and others do the trick as well. Do not try to "convert" the images somehow, just burn them to USB/DVD as is.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/02/19 11:41:30

I have CentOS on two of my machines right now, and NEITHER will initialize proper "dd=xxxxx of=/dev/xxx.
If that's what you ran then it's unsurprising that it didn't work as there is no command called `dd=xxxx` - you're wanting `dd if=some.file of=some.other.file`

As for vi vs vim, root has no alias set up for vi=vim deliberately where other users do. Invoke `vi` as a normal user and you get vim, invoke it as root and you get vi. It's done for security reasons and to make sure you have a basic editor as root that depends on as little as possible so that you can edit files in an emergency.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

CorbinCore

Post by CorbinCore » 2017/02/19 19:15:46

I am WELL aware of the commands my friend. I'm fact I just entirely rebuild my file system/links and everything using mostly lib commands. I was NOT asking for help with basic commands. I was asking for help fixing the reason why my simple commands didn't work. And yeah I figured it out. You said I didn't actually mention my problem. I sure as Sally did about 8 times. I also mentioned in there I was accepting of ANY advice even calling it my lack of Linux skills. So thank you.

My question was simple. Why do simple commands not work properly on 2 of my machines when they work fine on others.

The answers was comical. It was a quoincide that the two effected machines both ran Cent. One got some files and links misplaced that I didn't notice for a few days. Important ones. Led to the chain reaction that deleted MANY important carefully out together directory trees. I do not use kdump or anything of the sort. They hinder my ability to use mem style commands like "memcmp" "get mnt ent" "addseverity" "paste -a numz" "a64l" and "access" "cexpf" shall I go on??
Free access with NO dump backup is the way I like it. I am not going to write all the back doors, strings, and combos I had to use to put half of third commands together and grup them. Its always draws a map. Follow that map, connect the dots and build structures made out of directories that literally are not there anymore but it's as if they were. And I don't need them anymore because of my good friends phython, libc, grup, FLT_RADIX, and of course memory malloc.

My answrre my problem was "Marco SIGURG fcntl SIGPOLL rearrangement. I just rebuilt and reassigned it. Done.

avij
Retired Moderator

Post by avij » 2017/02/19 19:43:04

I gather from your last message that you have now managed to sort out the problems you were facing. That's good. I'm sorry we could not be of better help to you.