Lost Keyboard & Mouse to GUI after route change on CentOS 6.8

General support questions
jubi

Lost Keyboard & Mouse to GUI after route change on CentOS 6.8

Post by jubi » 2017/04/18 19:57:16

Hi All,

I need your help, I am not a very good Linux user and I am trying to fix the issue we are having with the Keyboard & Mouse. We have CentOS 6.8 installed on Dell PowerEdge R430 which is an iDRAC. Everything was working fine until one of my colleagues made a simple static route change which caused us to lose the mouse and keyboard. not sure why a route change would cause this issue. we rebooted the box many times with no luck of gaining access back to the OS, the OS boots fine and I get to the log in screen but no input and I can see the OS is not frozen because of the clock on the screen is working fine, I am accessing the server remotely and loading the OS via https. I don't know if we have the same issue if we use a physical mouse and keyboard on the server. when I ssh to IDRAC I get /admin1-> prompt and I don't know what to do from there, I have searched all over and I cant find any answers to this issue, and the only thing that has worked is reinstalling the OS again but that's not a solution.

It would be great if someone can help.

Thanks

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Lost Keyboard & Mouse to GUI after route change on CentOS 6.8

Post by TrevorH » 2017/04/18 20:42:16

The iDRAC is a separate system to the one installed on your machine. The iDRAC is a mini-computer inside your computer and its sole purpose is to allow you to see the physical console, reboot the machine and monitor the hardware etc. If you ssh to the iDRAC then you are on the iDRAC system, not on your CentOS system.

The iDRAC has a USB connection to your host and that's how it presents itself as a keyboard and mouse. I would start by resetting the iDRAC itself and seeing if that helps. You can do that from within the iDRAC web GUI.

Making a route change did not and cannot affect your iDRAC's keyboard and mouse.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

jubi

Post by jubi » 2017/04/25 04:57:32

TrevorH, you are correct I was SSHing to the IDRAC not CentOS. I did reset the Server many times and CentOS boots fine but I cant ssh to it or use the mouse and keyboard. I will be in the lab where there server is located tomorrow and I am going to plug a mouse and a keyboard directly to the server and see if that works. I will update the thread as soon as I can.

Thanks

jubi

Post by jubi » 2017/04/25 16:58:22

Update:

I plugged a mouse and a keyboard directly to the server but I still have the same issue. do you think this is a hardware issue?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/04/25 17:08:52

If they are USB devices and someone has turned off USB support then that would behave like that. I'd try booting the install media (or any bootable system you have to hand) and seeing if they work there. If they don't then it sounds like hardware or a hardware setting. If they do then it's your installed system.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke